Posted By
beverly_j_taylor
May 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings

I am new in the Adobe field, and now am "trying" to learn the basic elements of Adobe CS2. I am working on a PC.

My delimma: I am attempting to create a business card, for my new company. I believe Photoshop CS2 is the correct place to develop this (?), before placing it into InDesign CS2 (?). I have selected my font (Myriad Regular – dark blue), and have created the Text in Photoshop CS2. However, I’ve not been able to find instruction as to how to place a black outline around each and every character of the text (each character outlined separately).

(I’m learning by the "seat of my pants," as the computer learning center I have signed up for is not yet teaching CS2.) I have ordered reference books for InDesign CS2, Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2 — however, the only one that is currently available is InDesign CS2 — the others have not yet been released (although have been ordered!).

Any help, suggestions, etc., would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!

Beverly

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TM
Tom Murray 1
May 30, 2005
Beverly, I believe you want the CS forum.
Here;
<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b366>
BJ
beverly_j_taylor
May 30, 2005
Many thanks for the suggestion!

Bev.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 31, 2005
Beverly……

If you don’t find the answer over on the ‘dark side’ here’s how you can do it….

1. Add your text and it will go onto it’s own layer.
2. Make sure the text layer is selected….it will be highlighted
3. Goto Layer >Rasterize >Type
4. Hold down Ctrl and click on the text layer. You will see a selection marquee appear around each letter.
5. Goto Edit > Stroke….pick a colour and width and click on OK

The Stroke function turns the selection marquee into a line of the width and colour you choose.

Hope this helps

Colin
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2005
I believe that after step 4, you will need to do select>Inverse, since control-clicking selects transparency and you want the letters. Also, I know the keystroke for selecting transparency is different in CS2 for mac, so it may have changed for the Windows version as well–don’t know. Can anyone with CS2 say what it is? Colin?
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 31, 2005
Barbara….

The steps I gave were for CS, which I use instead of Elements…I would think CS2 will be the same.

I’m not sure about your comment on transparency…..ctrl click on a text layer or any layer selects the non-transparent pixels..i.e it outlines the text in this case.

Colin
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2005
Hi, Colin. Yes, just checked and you’re right–it does select the non-transparent part. But several people have complained that the keystrokes in the mac version changed in CS2 from what they have been in previous versions. This might be to avoid conflict with system shortcuts, so I was wondering if it changed in the windows version as well.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 31, 2005
That wouldn’t be very helpful of Adobe to have too many differences between PC and MAC.

I would guess in this case the Ctrl key ( is it Command on a Mac?) would be consistent as it’s a modifier rather than a keyboard shortcut and is used by many tools…..Selection for example.

Colin
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 31, 2005
In CS2 you click on the thumbnail of the layer to load selection. On a Mac it’s Command click.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 31, 2005
Thanks, Tom.
R
RSD99
May 31, 2005
posted:
"…
My delimma: I am attempting to create a business card, for my new company. I believe Photoshop CS2 is the correct place to develop this (?), before placing it into InDesign CS2 (?). I have selected my font (Myriad Regular – dark blue), and have created the Text in Photoshop CS2. However, I’ve not been able to find instruction as to how to place a black outline around each and every character of the text (each character outlined separately). …."

No. PhotoShop is *not* the correct program to develop a business card.

Make or modify any *images* you plan to use with PhotoShop.

Lay out the Business Card in InDesign *or* a vector graphics program such as Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator … doing ***all*** of your text in either InDesign or the vector graphics program.

[It really is *easy* to do text in Blue, with a thin black outline, in either of the vector graphics programs listed above.]

There are *many* reasons for this … too many to list in this posting … but the most important reason is text is *much* better handled as a vector graphic.

wrote in message
Greetings

I am new in the Adobe field, and now am "trying" to learn the basic
elements of Adobe CS2. I am working on a PC.
My delimma: I am attempting to create a business card, for my new
company. I believe Photoshop CS2 is the correct place to develop this (?), before placing it into InDesign CS2 (?). I have selected my font (Myriad Regular – dark blue), and have created the Text in Photoshop CS2. However, I’ve not been able to find instruction as to how to place a black outline around each and every character of the text (each character outlined separately).
(I’m learning by the "seat of my pants," as the computer learning center
I have signed up for is not yet teaching CS2.) I have ordered reference books for InDesign CS2, Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2 — however, the only one that is currently available is InDesign CS2 — the others have not yet been released (although have been ordered!).
Any help, suggestions, etc., would be greatly appreciated. This is
driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!
Beverly

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections