LH
Posted By
Laura_Holmbeck
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have WinXP and Photoshop Elements 2.0.

I would like to have text outlined.

However, when I use Effects, then Thin Outline, the text has the original color for an outline, but it’s hollowed out (transparent inside).

If I use Layer Styles, then something like Outer Glows and Blue Ghost, it keeps the original font color, but I don’t know any means to change the color of the Outer Glow. I can adjust the outer glowiness within Layer / Layer Styles / Style Settings.

Within Elements, is there a way to have filled in text, that’s outlined, and control the color of the outline AND the text inside? I’d prefer if I could use the first method, as it seems crisper, but just not to have the font transparent, and to control what the outer and inner color is like.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer on this question.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GW
greg_wallis
Aug 26, 2004
Try selecting the text then go to Edit>stroke……decide on the thickness and colour of the outline….choose centre and there you go….not sure if this is what you were after……..unfortunately this will not change with any text changes…so get your text right first then finish off with edu=t stroke.

cheers greg
JD
Juergen_D
Aug 26, 2004
Laura,
Using Thin Outline, here is what you do:
Type the text in any color or in the color you want for the outline. If it is different, set the foreground color to the one for the outline. Apply Thin Outline, the ‘hollow’ text will be in foreground color. Select each letter of the text using the magic wand. Once all letters have ‘marching ants’ around them change the foreground color to the desired inner color. Select the Paint Bucket Tool, contiguous unchecked, and click on the inside of one of the letters and they all should fill with the selected color.

Juergen
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 26, 2004
As usuall with Elements there are many ways to achieve the same effect.

Instead of selecting the text letter by letter, you can select it all in one go.

With any Selection tool as the current tool and the layers palette open. Hold the Ctrl key down and click on the text Icon (i.e. the big T) on the Text layer. All the text should now be selected.

Colin
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 26, 2004
Laura, To add to Juergen’s post, you could use a Color Fill Adjustment layer instead of the paint bucket. This would give you the ability to experiment with color and blend modes. You can also select the outline after using the hollow text and also use a Color Fill which would again allow you to experiment. For a cool effect, you could use a Gradient Fill instead of a color Fill for the outline. To the center fill you can also apply Gradient fills, and pattern Fills. Try doing a combination varing layer order, opacities, and blend modes. Merge everything but the Gradient fill or Color Fill used for the stroke. Apply one of the bevels that comes with PSE to the Merged layers. The result will look like it was made in full PS.

Terri
LH
Laura_Holmbeck
Aug 26, 2004
Wow, lots of ways, I’ll give them a try.
Thank you very, very much, everyone!
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 27, 2004
Laura….

I think I may have mislead you with my text selection method. It seems that once you use the Thin Outline effect the Text is no longer a text layer.

I’ve never used that affect before.

Colin

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections