G
Posted By
GeoffreyHirst
Apr 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photosop 7 and Illustrator CS3 on my machine. I have been asked to change my PSD files to AI files (which I did via opening and Ctr + shift + "S" – a secondary point is how do I automate this?)

I have been asked my the person I’m sending the files to, to outline the text via "Type" "Outline" (Ctr+ Shift+"O") however this does not seen to work. I have also tried to Export to AI in photoshop but get a blank image. The PSD file is layered but I’ve tried flattening it to.

Help! 😀

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
DGWaters
Apr 21, 2008
What happens if you open the file directly from AI? I’m not as fluent in AI as I am in PS, but it will open .psd’s.
G
GeoffreyHirst
Apr 21, 2008
Good morning (I assume!).

The PSD file opens up with the layers but the outline function does not become highlighted. I’m guessing maybe I need to do something to that layer.
G
GeoffreyHirst
Apr 21, 2008
I forget – sorry – to mention – it’s a trial version of Illustrator, do you think it’s that simple.
D
DGWaters
Apr 21, 2008
Good morning to you, too – although I’ve been up for several hours…

A trial version should have full functionality in all respects, so I don’t think that’s it.

I’m not at my CS3 machine right now, so I’ll have to come back if I figure something out, sorry. Maybe someone else, still asleep somewhere on the globe, will recognise this problem.

If you haven’t already, try the Illustrator forum as well.
G
GeoffreyHirst
Apr 21, 2008
Will do – thank you!
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 21, 2008
Is it possible the text has been rendered in Photoshop? In other words, it is on a normal PS layer, not one with the A icon in the layer palette. This would make it impossible to outline the type.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Apr 21, 2008
Procedure:

1. Save your PSD without rendering the text.

2. OPEN your PSD in Illustrator. You should be presented with some options, including preserving text editability, which you will, obviously, choose.

Here’s the rub. You can’t do it with Photoshop 7. (The text will come in as a raster image.) The oldest Photoshop that will allow you to do this is 8 (CS).
G
GeoffreyHirst
Apr 21, 2008
Thank you, not the best news but at least I know why it does not work!
BL
Bob Levine
Apr 21, 2008
And just so you know…this is likely to be your last chance to get upgrade pricing. The earliest version eligible for upgrading is PS 7. If that holds you won’t be able to upgrade to CS4.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections