MH
Posted By
Marlene_Hochberg
Aug 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using PS CS2 (XP, SP2). I’ve been given a digital photo with truly awful color. The color is so "off," the guy’s face looks almost like fluorescent orange.

I’ve experimented with curves, hue and saturation, color balance, etc., but have not been able to hit on the right combinations to get an acceptable skin tone. I can make it look better, but he’s still too pinkish or purplish. If I desaturate more, he starts looking really unhealthy.

Suggestions?

TIA,

Marlene

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 19, 2007
Post a screen res copy of it at www.pixentral.com for us to take a look.
MH
Marlene_Hochberg
Aug 19, 2007
I didn’t know about pixcentral.com. Cool!

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1VR67EMeXNb3Ba3joJ vjreOY0iToy0>

The photo (the unadulterated version, saved down to a 72 dpi JPEG) doesn’t look as bad in Firefox as it does in Photoshop! He’s still too pink, though.
J
johntolliday
Aug 19, 2007
G’day, hope you don’t mind but I had a quick go at this!

I used the channel mixer

49 Red, 29 Green, -1 Blue

then brought him back up with levels or curves.

regards

John
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 19, 2007
Another way: White Point eyedropper on the collar in Levels and a touch of Hue and Sat.

Or … get CS3 and do it in Camera Raw!
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 19, 2007
The image has a lot of channel clipping evidence (levels that seem to have been brought back to well within the range, but clipped nonetheless.

Also, and this is the reason the image looks "worse" in PS than in Firefox, is carries a profile that is not good, or the monitor isn’t properly calibrated and profiled (Adobe PS is colour managed.

In any case, when preparing images for the web, always convert to sRGB. (Edit – Convert to profile…)

Here’s my interpretation. The key to success was (surprisingly) a Hue Saturation adjustment (Hue/Sat: Edit: Reds – hue: +21 – sat:-60)

Plus the usual tidy up:

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=109UJOXjR1LhRN6aII 59IGxleraQV>

Rob
H
Ho
Aug 19, 2007
I think all you need to do is *Assign* the correct profile. Try sRGB or Apple RGB.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 19, 2007
Howard,

If you *assign* a profile the colour (anomalies) are retained, and the image is simply tagged the new profile.

Rob
H
Ho
Aug 19, 2007
If you Convert, the color numbers are changed while retaining the appearance (as nearly as possible)… not good since the appearance is bad. Assigning a profile changes the appearance without changing the numbers. Once the image takes on a realistic flesh tone (by experimentally Assigning profiles), then you can Convert it to your profile of choice.

Or not. Just one way of doing what should be a simple fix.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 19, 2007
Assigning a profile changes the appearance without changing the numbers.

OK, show me. (Pixentral)

R 🙂 b
H
Ho
Aug 19, 2007
Show yourself. Seriously, just load an image (the one of this gentleman will do), go to Assign profile and scroll through the profiles on your system (with Preview checked) and observe how the color changes, sometimes dramatically…especially if you have Wide Gamut RGB or ProPhoto RGB on hand.

Then do the same thing with Convert and notice that, except for any grayscale profiles, that there is a very minimal difference from color profile to color profile.
C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 19, 2007
Howard is right on the money.

This image was tagged with the AdobeRGB1998 profile. My guess is that someone had erronously Assigned that profile causing the shift in colour.

Assigning the correct (sRGB) profile brings the colour back to something approaching normality.
MH
Marlene_Hochberg
Aug 19, 2007
johntolliday,

I’ve never used the channel mixer, and I don’t know how to make the changes. Do I enter all of the changes on the red channel? (I tried that, but the results weren’t great.)

Marlene
MH
Marlene_Hochberg
Aug 19, 2007
Thanks to all for your suggestions, but now I’m possibly even more confused. <g>

This image isn’t intended for web use. It will be dropped into a Quark file and offset printed (4-color process). So, what profile should I be using? I see a "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" profile in Photoshop — is that the correct one?

When I open an image, I have PS set to ask me if I want to:

Use the embedded profile
Convert document’s colors to working space
Discard the embedded profile

Should I discard the embedded profile and then assign (or convert??) to a new profile, or set my preferences so the sRGB (or whatever I’m suppssed to use for offset printing)is my default working space, and let PS "convert document’s colors to working space"?

I figure I may as well start out with the correct color profile before I do any more fiddling with the image. I am getting a tiny bit panicky — I have to upload these files to the printer tonight.

Marlene
MH
Marlene_Hochberg
Aug 19, 2007
John (Joslin),

I tried the eyedropper thing and then fiddled with hue and saturation, but I’m still ending up with surreal colors.

In H&S, should I be adjusting just the Red, or the Master?

Or … get CS3 and do it in Camera Raw!<<

I intend to upgrade to CS3 as soon as I get a new computer. And I intend to get a new computer as soon as I decide which monitor to get. I’m still trying to find out what the best LCD monitors are for PS work. I’ve looked at some 24" "consumer"-level monitors locally, but here’s no place where I can look at high-end monitors.

Right now I’m using an old SpectraView 1000 which can be calibrated, but I have never been able to quite work out how to do it. Too technical for me.

Marlene
H
Ho
Aug 19, 2007
There is more than one way to do this. I *think* I would…

Discard the embedded profile just to be safe, then Assign sRGB or Apple RGB to obtain a good skin tone (light on the Cyan with roughly equal amounts of Magenta and Yellow). You can confirm those numbers via the Info palette without actually converting to CMYK. Make sure your eyedropper is set to sample 3×3 or 5×5. If your display is calibrated properly you can just eyeball it.

There’s really no advantage in Converting to Adobe RGB (the "normal" color space for press work) before you (or your printer) do the final conversion to CMYK, but it won’t hurt anything either; it’s your option.
C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 19, 2007
Marlene. Did you read posts #6, 8 and 11?
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 19, 2007
Marlene

I can’t say how it will print from Quark but what I did was assign an sRGB profile, then use the middle eyedropper in the Levels dialog followed by a Hue/Sat layer (Master) with Hue: +7, Saturation: -7, Lightness: +7.

No guarantees!

Good luck
MH
Marlene_Hochberg
Aug 20, 2007
chrisjbirchall,

I read all of the posts! I think part of the problem is that my monitor’s not calibrated (so even when I plug in the same numbers that people have suggested, I’m not seeing the same results) and part is that I don’t know what I’m doing.

I’ve finally got a "final" image that I think will work (it’s a lot better than what I produced yesterday!). Getting rid of the original profile helped a lot, and then I tweaked the levels and H&S.

So now I’d like to figure out how to proceed in the future — whether I should I buy a book (and which book) or take a class. I frequently get digital photos that leave a lot to be desired, and I am spending more and more time trying to fix them.

I also need to deal with the calibration issue. I could try to figure out how to calibrate my current monitor (the Mitsubishi SpectraView 1000) but I’d prefer to buy a new LCD monitor that I can calibrate.

I’d welcome any suggestions regarding books, classes (I can take a 2-day class locally for $745, although it covers more than fixing bad photos, so I’m not sure how much it actually concentrates on what I need to do), and monitor calibration …

Marlene
H
Ho
Aug 20, 2007
Spend $50 on Professional Photoshop by Dan Margulis (cheaper on Amazon). Then spend another $50 on Real World Photoshop by Blatner and Fraser. Read and apply.

Then start teaching your own classes. 🙂
MH
Marlene_Hochberg
Aug 20, 2007
Ho,

I’ve got RWP, but it’s the Photoshop 5 edition. <g> Guess I need to get the CS3 edition, since I’ll be upgrading my software soon.

Then start teaching your own classes.<<

LOL!

I’m still in a quandary about the monitor issue. It was Bruce Fraser who recommended the SpectraView to me way back when. I need to find another monitor maven.

Thanks,

Marlene
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 20, 2007
Howard,

Your right! But this is one of the few times that scrolling through the profiles (in Assign) delivered a proper colour rendition.

Usually, when preparing for the web (as I thought was the case now) I have an image that I convert to profile when it already has one.

I this case I thought the (Adobe RGB indeed) profile was in error and threw it away, and started manually editing to the result in #5

Rob
B
Bernie
Aug 20, 2007
But this is one of the few times that scrolling through the profiles (in Assign) delivered a proper colour rendition.

Nah, back when I was outputting a lot of files for other people, the first thing we’d do when getting images that look like that is try to assign sRGB to is (if it wasn’t tagged). a LOT of times it fixed the problem, and if it didn’t, you were a lot closer to something realistic so correcting was easier.
H
Ho
Aug 20, 2007
Rob,

Anytime I receive a profiled image with color that looks wrong, I try assigning different profiles (just the most common ones) to see if it makes any sort of positive difference. If it does, my job is made a bit easier. If it doesn’t, not much time was wasted.

Hope this helps you in the future.

EDIT: Nomad types faster than I do. 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections