Red Eyes in Photo’s ~ Suggestions On Fixing?

S
Posted By
Stardancer
Jul 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings All,

I need to eliminate ‘red eye’ from some photo’s I shot a few weeks ago, and can’t find any reference in the FAQ or any of my Photoshop manuals as to how to do that in Adobe Photoshop.

I tried one of these software apps that are supposed to ‘auto adjust’ the color, and the people’s eyes ended up looking like they were ‘living dead’, if you know what I mean.

So does anyone have a Photoshop technique or can point me to a link on the Net somewhere that will help to to eliminate ‘red eyes’ from photo’s, and have the person’s eyes look natural?

I’m using Adobe Photoshop version 7.0

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 14, 2007
Later versions of Photoshop have a specific red eye removal tool, but I typed "remove red eye tutorial" into google and got: < http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/psredeye/index.s html>

There were plenty more too!

What’s so difficult about that?
S
Stardancer
Jul 14, 2007
Thanks for your feedback, John, and finding the link. Kathy
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 14, 2007
google is your friend 🙂
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jul 15, 2007
So are the FAQ’s in this forum:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.eea8f22/5>
JH
John Heinz
Jul 15, 2007
Hi. There are a number of things that you can do, most of which involve essentially painting the area with an appropriate color. You can select the red eye area with the circular selection tool and fill with black. You can select the red area with the magic wand tool and fill with black. You can select the red area either way and go into the Image pulldown and use adjustments/ replace color, which will leave overtones. you can select the area and use any of the other adjustment tools to change the hue-saturation, color balance, etc. If the entire eye is not red, you can use the clone stamp to pick an area that is the color of the eye you want and alter the red area to the clone selection. This can take practice, the relationship between the stamp and sample used remains constant until reselected. You can use a combination of these effects, and after applying each can fade it under edit if it seems too strong, or undo. You can adjust the color by selecting/copy, paste into another layer on top, and work out your color there, then can reduce opacity and fill for that layer to get overtones back.
I usually prefer clone stamp if there is enough of the natural eye color, as you are retaining the color already present, but if the area is too large, the selection and altering the color through hue/sat. or color balance, replace color adjustments works well.
I hope this helps,
J
wrote in message
Greetings All,

I need to eliminate ‘red eye’ from some photo’s I shot a few weeks ago, and can’t find any reference in the FAQ or any of my Photoshop manuals as to how to do that in Adobe Photoshop.

I tried one of these software apps that are supposed to ‘auto adjust’ the color, and the people’s eyes ended up looking like they were ‘living dead’, if you know what I mean.

So does anyone have a Photoshop technique or can point me to a link on the Net somewhere that will help to to eliminate ‘red eyes’ from photo’s, and have the person’s eyes look natural?

I’m using Adobe Photoshop version 7.0

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections