Posted By
Linda_Schirmann
May 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently purchased PSE 3.
I have tried many of the suggestions already made on this forum to fade the edges of a layer. I find it hard to believe it is so complicated. I have used Microsoft Picture It where you just select the "layer" and choose Soft Edges and slide the tool until you achieve the desired amount of fading. I make collages with many layers of varying shape each requiring fading. I can’t imagine the time it would take me to accomplish that in this program. Am I missing something?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin Walls
May 22, 2005
Am I missing something?

Yes. Just select the stuff you want from each image using the rectangular marquee tool, with a reasonably high feather setting. Then CTRL/c to copy. Move to your montage and CTRL/V to paste [onto a new layer].
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 22, 2005
Can you put up a link showing the effect you want to achieve?
LS
Linda_Schirmann
May 22, 2005
Colin,

I read your post to a similar question and tried what you said. I am a little confused. I often use the marquee tool to cut out people in a picture to create a montage. I want the fade at very irregular edges. You suggest using the rectangular tool? How do you know the level of feathering to use. I get a big blur. I am so frustrated.

Linda
LS
Linda_Schirmann
May 22, 2005
Tom,

I’m sorry. I would love to show you what I mean but I don’t know how to send a link. (A link to where? I don’t have a website.)

Linda
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 22, 2005
Linda,

Don’t use the feather at the top of the screen … set that to 0

Now use the marquee tool to draw the shape you want to keep Select>Inverse
then do Select>Feather … and try say 20
Edite>Delete

Now if the feather is too high or too low simple do
Edit>Step backward (twice)
Your shape will still be selected and you can try a higher or lower feather

Try that and see how you go on

Wendy
CW
Colin Walls
May 22, 2005
You suggest using the rectangular tool?

I just assumed you were cutting out rectangles. The same idea applies to any method of selection – lasso for example.

How do you know the level of feathering to use. I get a big blur.

I’ll admit that this is trial and error, but for a given resolution you’ll get consistent results. Start with, say, 10px and raise/lower it until you get th effect you want.

FWIW, I wouldn’t actually do it this way myself. I tend to use layer masks [which are an add-on to PSE]. Much more powerful/flexible/forgiving, but more complex to get started with.

MS Picture It is an OK program for absolute beginners. PSE is considerably more powerful, but takes a while to get to grips with. But we’re here to help …
TM
Tom Murray 1
May 22, 2005
Go here;
<http://www.pixentral.com/index.php>
Click Choose File, after you select an image click Send. When your image comes up, copy the address form the browser or down below the image.

Then paste it in your next reply.
LS
Linda_Schirmann
May 22, 2005
Tom,

I hope I got this right.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pic=1CL5AqDGF6ThGsJfi02b9G whCIf89>

This is what I am trying to do.

Linda
C
Corey
May 22, 2005
Remember that when you feather something, the feathering occurs both inside and outside the selection. For instance, let’s say I made a circular selection that was 500 pixels across and wanted to feather the edges while keeping the center pixels intact, and I wanted to feather it 100 pixels. The feathering would center on my selection with decreasing feathering occurring on the inside 50 pixels and increasing feathering occurring on the outer 50 pixels. The closer to the center of my selection, the less the pixel transparency, the further from the edge of my selection the greater the transparency

So you can make your selection with this in mind. If the selection is odd shaped around a person or object, make your selection far enough away so as not to lose portions you wish to keep, and use a feathering value that also allows this. Once you have your feathered selection, click on the Add Layer Mask icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette. This will accomplish the job without losing any information. Should you need to gain access to the hidden pixels, all you need to do is delete the mask.

Peadge 🙂
LS
Linda_Schirmann
May 22, 2005
Wendy,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The first time I tried I had my image as the background, then I tried it as a layer and YES YES finally!

Linda
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
May 22, 2005
Linda,
I have been following this thread with interest – affords me the opportunity to learn additional techniques. Following along with Wendy’s suggestion, I respectfully suggest a slight modification which may be what you are after:
1. Open image, and duplicate background layer
2. Create a new, white layer between these 2 layers
3. With the top layer active (denoted by blue color in layers palette) make your selection with the marquee tool
4. Go to Select>Inverse
5. Go to Select>Feather (try 20-25px)
6. Go to Edit>delete
Ken
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 22, 2005
Linda …

Glad that you have now managed to get it working 🙂

Wendy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections