MN
Posted By
Mitch_Nelson
May 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
– I have a white logo on a black background. It has anti-aliased edges.

– I want to turn it into a white logo on a transparent background, where the anti-aliasing will be semi-transparent.

– This way, I can put my white logo on any background I want and have smooth edges that blend seamlessly into the background.

– (So, for example, the original 25% brightness at 100% opacity would become 100% brightness (white) at 25% opacity.)

– How do I do this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 12, 2007
Make Background a Layer. Invert so it’s a black logo on a white background. Make a new layer below and fill with a color as reference. On the logo layer double-click to get the Layer Style dilaog and in that dialog pull the rightmost bottom sliders left until all the white has turned transparent.

Now you have a black antialiased logo on transparent background. Select All, Copy. Make a new layer, fill with white. Make a blank Layer mask on it. Alt-click to reveal the Layer Mask and Ctrl-V to paste into it and Ctrl-I to invert the mask.

Trash the logo layer. Pull the mask to the trash and click Apply. Now you have an antialiased white logo on a transparent background.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 12, 2007
Invert the layer so you have a black logo on a white background. Go to the Channels Palette, Ctrl-click on the Composite channel (RGB or CMK) to make a selection. Back on the Layers palette, click on the Layer Mask icon to make a mask of the selection, then click on the original layer, select all and fill with white.

Pull the mask to the trash and click Apply.
MN
Mitch_Nelson
May 12, 2007
I seem to have found an even simpler way. Black logo on white background, ctrl-click on the composite channel, press delete. Is there anything wrong with this method?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 12, 2007
Nothing wrong with that.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections