Posted By
finecur
May 3, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I have an image at (http://www.flickr.com/photos/
/4574509349/sizes/o/). The image is semi-transparent.
There is a "hole" at the middle. I would like to remove the hole. I tried to copy a small aera from other part of the image and overlay on top of the hole. But the transparency then became different. You can clearly see the patch. What is the best way to remove the hole and make the center part the same as other part?

Thanks,

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PU
Photoshop User
May 3, 2010
"finecur" wrote in message
There is a "hole" at the middle. I would like to remove the hole. I tried to copy a small aera from other part of the image and overlay on top of the hole. But the transparency then became different. You can clearly see the patch. What is the best way to remove the hole and make the center part the same as other part?

Thanks,

did you cut and paste to a new layer? if you did it that way make sure the layer is in the same MODE- (drop down box at top of layer palette)

best way would be to use the patch tool, circle the area adjacent and "move" it over

— —
F
finecur
May 3, 2010
On May 3, 11:16 am, "Kabuki" wrote:

Thanks,

did you cut and paste to a new layer? if you did it that way make sure the layer is in the same MODE- (drop down box at top of layer palette)
best way would be to use the patch tool, circle the area adjacent and "move" it over

— —

Thank you very much for replay. I tried but it does not seem to work. Could you please try it?

Thank you again.
J
Joe
May 3, 2010
finecur wrote:

Thanks,

There are many different methods so pick one you like the best.

– Using CLONE TOOL to fill the whole with area around the hole.

– Copying or replacing the hole over the solid area (different layer), then use either Quik Mask or Erase tool to replace the hole with the solid area.

You may be able to use the HEALING tool but it may and may not work well. So, try different technique see which one works best, and I can warrantee you that Quick Mask is an useful tool and it should work.
PU
Photoshop User
May 5, 2010
On May 3, 11:16 am, "Kabuki" wrote:

Thanks,

best way would be to use the patch tool, circle the area adjacent and "move"
it over

— —

Thank you very much for replay. I tried but it does not seem to work. Could you please try it?

Thank you again.

once you turn the file to jpeg it is no longer layered or transparent

are you working in a psd file? with tranparency *or tiff or png

— —
PU
Photoshop User
May 5, 2010
"Joe" wrote in message
finecur wrote:

Thanks,

– Copying or replacing the hole over the solid area (different layer), then
use either Quik Mask or Erase tool to replace the hole with the solid area.

You may be able to use the HEALING tool but it may and may not work well. So, try different technique see which one works best, and I can warrantee you that Quick Mask is an useful tool and it should work.

nope now I see it’s png
copying any technique–clone or heal makes the transparency double and leaves a darker area
I tried on white background to dupe the layer, then used top layer on overlay or difference it got rid of the spot but left top and sides darker- I cleared them and it looked fine – only on white though on other color backgrounds it makes a rectangle-

HMM
it the orig file a photo?
if so I suggest fix it as another format first then make transparent after the hole is fixed

— —
PU
Photoshop User
May 5, 2010
"Kabuki" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
finecur wrote:

Thanks,

nope now I see it’s png
copying any technique–clone or heal makes the transparency double and leaves a darker area
I tried on white background to dupe the layer, then used top layer on overlay or difference it got rid of the spot but left top and sides darker- I cleared them and it looked fine – only on white though on other color backgrounds it makes a rectangle-

HMM
if so I suggest fix it as another format first then make transparent after the hole is fixed
http://xs.to/image-6DE8_4BE0BC83.jpg
unfortunately this pic service made it into a jpg

but I tested the png and it now works on all color backgrounds

what I did

made a layer white
merged layers
fixed the hole w/ patch tool
select color range- click white area- adjust to your liking select inverse and clear
save for web as PNG

— —
J
Joe
May 6, 2010
"Kabuki" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
finecur wrote:

Thanks,

nope now I see it’s png

HMM

Technique is technique it doesn’t matter what format you use, or it should work with all formats you can open with Photoshop.

– If you want to fill/clone the hole with similar thing around it, then you DO NOT want a WHITE, Transparency, or any specific background but itself.

a. If you want CLONE other part of the photo to fill the hole then use CLONE Tool.

b. If you want to use Quick Mask command then make a dupe of the original photo. Or part of the photo you want to use to fill the hole.

– On the other layer, aranging the layer (as it can be TOP or LOWER layer) to where or what you want the hole to be filled.

– Then use Quick Mask command to either Unveal/Review (painting with BLACK or WHITE brush) to your liking.

IOW, if you know how to replace the whole background, replacing the whole object etc.. then using the similar technique on the hole.

– CLONING has nothing to do with other layer but whatever layer you work on, and Clone just making a DUPE of PART A to PART B.

– HEALING, Photoshop has several different healing tools, and in general they all work on current layer.

a. One will blending the spot to match the area around the spot.

b. Other(s) will replace one part with other, then matching the newer replacement with the aera around it. It works similar to the combination of Cloning and Healing

The other Healing option allowing you to select any specific area to replace the specific area (like you select any part of the photo to replace the hole), then it will do the healing (above) to the hole area.

Same as all commands, the healing has its own limitation so it may work on some but not all, some works better than other. And if you work on small detail photo then you may find that Healing Tool ain’t very useful, or pretty much for displaying but may not the final tool for detail photo.

Example, if you use healing tool to remove or reduce the Eye Bags of a portraiture, then it may be ok for small photo (good distance), but for close-up then you may find that it may lose the skin-texture or some unwelcoming spots.

I just happen to work mostly on close-up portrait, and often zoom-in 300-400% to work on very small detail, and to me the healing tool isn’t my best choice. So, I mostly use Quick Mask and sometime combination with Clone, Erase tool etc.. (and Opacity is one of the most important parts of my work, and quite often I work with Opacity set to 3-15%)
J
Joe
May 6, 2010
"Kabuki" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
finecur wrote:

Thanks,

nope now I see it’s png

HMM

what I did

made a layer white
merged layers
select color range- click white area- adjust to your liking select inverse and clear
save for web as PNG

You get the right idea *but* not the best way. Since CLONE tool is a very simple tool to use, but if you ain’t good with your hand, don’t have other technique to help the technique then it can be little complicate.

And because you seem to really try to master this one, so I can give you a simple technique which you should be able to do it.

1. Open the photo with the HOLE you want to fill.

2. Selecting a small part of either Left or Right next to the hole. Ctrl-C = COPY

3. Making an emptied layer, or Ctrl-V to PASTE the copied part to current, and Photoshop should create another layer automatically.

4. Move the small part over the hole, making sure the edge line up correctly.

5. If you have the LAYER window opened, then click on the [o] button at the bottom of the window which is the Quick Mask command.

a. Set the OPACITY to around 5-10% (or 10-15%) or whatever works best for you, or depending on you use Tablet or Mouse

b. On the LEFT side of Photoshop you will have the BLACK/WHITE toggle (this is part of the Masking)

c. Select the BRUSH tool and set the Brush Size you wish to use. I always use the [ & ] key command to change the brush size

Then just use the BRUSH to paint on the layer and you should see the result. If you make some mistake and want to UNDO it then toggle the BLACK/WHITE and it will reverse or do the opposite (Reveal/UnVeal)
PU
Photoshop User
May 7, 2010
"Joe" wrote in message
"Kabuki" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
finecur wrote:

There is a "hole" at the middle. I would like to remove the hole. I tried to copy a small aera from other part of the image and overlay on
top of the hole. But the transparency then became different. You can clearly see the patch. What is the best way to remove the hole and make the center part the same as other part?

Thanks,

You may be able to use the HEALING tool but it may and may not work well.
So, try different technique see which one works best, and I can warrantee
you that Quick Mask is an useful tool and it should work.

nope now I see it’s png

HMM
if so I suggest fix it as another format first then make transparent after
the hole is fixed

what I did

made a layer white
merged layers
save for web as PNG

You get the right idea *but* not the best way. Since CLONE tool is a very simple tool to use, but if you ain’t good with your hand, don’t have other technique to help the technique then it can be little complicate.
And because you seem to really try to master this one, so I can give you a simple technique which you should be able to do it.

1. Open the photo with the HOLE you want to fill.

2. Selecting a small part of either Left or Right next to the hole. Ctrl-C =
COPY

3. Making an emptied layer, or Ctrl-V to PASTE the copied part to current, and Photoshop should create another layer automatically.
4. Move the small part over the hole, making sure the edge line up correctly.

5. If you have the LAYER window opened, then click on the [o] button at the
bottom of the window which is the Quick Mask command.

a. Set the OPACITY to around 5-10% (or 10-15%) or whatever works best for you, or depending on you use Tablet or Mouse

b. On the LEFT side of Photoshop you will have the BLACK/WHITE toggle (this is part of the Masking)

c. Select the BRUSH tool and set the Brush Size you wish to use. I always use the [ & ] key command to change the brush size

Then just use the BRUSH to paint on the layer and you should see the result. If you make some mistake and want to UNDO it then toggle the BLACK/WHITE and it will reverse or do the opposite (Reveal/UnVeal)

you are a CLUELESS jackass JOE-please download and try it- YOU never have right info and think every thing is quickmask– JOE- the issue is not HOW TO FIX THE HOLE or what tool to use or what technique- those are KNOWN- the patch does the same as CLONE

but the transparency changes when you do–due to the PNG format-

try it before you talk more nonsense –as if you know anything

— —
J
Joe
May 7, 2010
"Kabuki" wrote:

you are a CLUELESS jackass JOE-please download and try it- YOU never have right info and think every thing is quickmask– JOE- the issue is not HOW TO FIX THE HOLE or what tool to use or what technique- those are KNOWN- the patch does the same as CLONE

Holly shit! I didn’t realize I was talking to another stupid.
PU
Photoshop User
May 8, 2010
"Joe" wrote in message
"Kabuki" wrote:

you are a CLUELESS jackass JOE-please download and try it- YOU never have
right info and think every thing is quickmask– JOE- the issue is not HOW
TO FIX THE HOLE or what tool to use or what technique- those are KNOWN- the
patch does the same as CLONE

Holly shit! I didn’t realize I was talking to another stupid.

yeah you must be looking in the mirror–
did you download the image and try it?
NO you didn’t — did you follow the thread? no you didn;t

I told him what you said before you said it
then I tried it and he the OP was right

and you are still not

— —

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections