Auto crop Scanned Images w/black edge? 1500+ photos to crop!

SS
Posted By
Salil_Sundresh
Dec 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a job where the client scanned over 1500 photos but didn’t crop them properly so there’s random black bars & edges everywhere that I’m required to get rid of. Is there any way for Photoshop or ANY application to auto detect and crop & save a batch of photos? This would save me a TON of work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’m currently running Mac OS X Leopard10.5.5, CS3 production suite, Aperature, iPhoto and more

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JM
J_Maloney
Dec 15, 2008
Make an action that selects color range of black. Select the inverse of that selection. Then crop. You’ll need to play with the fuzziness possibly, depending on how the "black" was generated. You should be able to batch the action.
PR
Paul_R
Dec 15, 2008
You could try Crop & Straighten, if this works see this thread and you can batch it. <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b7368d/5>
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 15, 2008
J,

Make an action that selects color range of black.

The problem I see with that is, what happens if the same color (range) is also an integral part of the image? Wouldn’t that make cropping unpredictable?

Neil
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 15, 2008
Wouldn’t that make cropping unpredictable?

Only if the complete edge of a pic has the same values (and then really isn’t it part of the edge? 😉 ). Crop works on the bounds, so pixels inside don’t matter. I think to really answer the post, we need a better idea of what these edges are. 0,0,0 generated by cropping as a bg color? Scanned rich black complete with detectable kicker rosette? Tranny black?

J

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections