S
Posted By
sam
Feb 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a relatively new user of Elements. I have used the program successsfully to merge a great number of aerial photo images into one large image, and now would like to superimpose a corresponding topographic map over the merged photimage. It seems to me that it should be possible to do, but am so much a novice that I am scratching bald spots into my head. I don’t have time to slowly dig thie info out of books and manuals. Can anyone help?

There are two parts to the probloem, one- how to superimpose the two images so that the ‘grid’lines don’t interfere too much with the underlying image; and second, how to resize and reorient the two images so that they register perfectly with boundary lines.

Thanks for any help.

Innomid

…………………………………………………… ….. Posted via TITANnews – Uncensored Newsgroups Access
at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
-=Every Newsgroup – Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PD
postman delivers
Feb 11, 2005
"sam" wrote in message
I am a relatively new user of Elements. I have used the program successsfully to merge a great number of aerial photo images into one large image, and now would like to superimpose a corresponding topographic map over the merged photimage. It seems to me that it should be possible to do, but am so much a novice that I am scratching bald spots into my head. I don’t have time to slowly dig thie info out of books and manuals. Can anyone help?

There are two parts to the probloem, one- how to superimpose the two images so that the ‘grid’lines don’t interfere too much with the underlying image; and second, how to resize and reorient the two images so that they register perfectly with boundary lines.

Thanks for any help.

Innomid

…………………………………………………… …. Posted via TITANnews – Uncensored Newsgroups Access

Innomid,

Seems you have the skills to knit the map pieces together with the Elements program, have you completed both the topographic & the aerial map?

Prior to knitting the images together when they were in pieces, were there register marks or borders to allow the lineup of the topographic & the aerial map? Lining up images without register marks is a guess and beyond my scope, and with maps I would presume accuracy is needed?

Presuming you have the images ready to join in single image. Open the two images you want to use in elements.

In the Layers palette of the source image, select the layer that you want to copy.

Do one of the following:

Choose Select > All to select all of the pixels on the layer, and choose Edit > Copy. Then make the destination image active, and choose Edit > Paste.

Or

Use the move tool to drag the layer from the source image to the destination image.

The copied layer appears in the destination image where you release the mouse button (and above the active layer in the Layers palette). If the layer you’re dragging is larger than the destination image, only part of the layer is visible. You can use the move tool to drag other sections of the layer into view.

Also in windows you can use the zoom tool holding down the Alt key to make the image smaller, now it is possible to move the image around to approximate the alignment. Then zoom in as needed to have a very precise view of the register marks/border for alignment.

Sizing one layer, and not both use the transform tool for the layer that needs to become smaller or larger.
Using the image menu tools size and transform, and the tools zoom and move, you should be able to accomplish your project. Remember to save different steps with different names so you make a mess you do not need to step back very far in saved images to restart again. I would save in layered form not in jpg until you need to e-mail the map photo.

map A-version-001, map A-version-002, and so on and so on! —–
Maps are items that I would think need to be in vector form and not pixel form, which Photoshop excels in manipulating. But a small decorative map of the neighborhood that does not depend on exactness you should be able to accomplish with Photoshop Elements. It appears you are reinventing the wheel as these maps are available commercially, for Photoshop. I would ask them about Elements –

http://www.usarelief.com/

I would take more time learning the software, so the next project you want to accomplish it will be a might easier…

http://myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorials.htm

The above link has a list of projects that are for elements, and doing a few of these tutorials will certainly go a long way in understanding more of the programs basic tool use. Good Luck, hopefully someone with map experience will have more information for you…

JR
H
HiJack
Feb 11, 2005
Sam

I used to do what you are talking about for a living.

If you want to do serious work along this line then you are going to have use a mapping program like Arc View or Map Info. You can register topo maps on top of aerial photos or any other map layer and have lat and long to go with it. They aren’t cheap, they cost several hundred dollars. They are the only way to "register" maps with the lat and long.

Jack Forbes

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:00:52 -0500, sam wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Innomid

S
sam
Feb 11, 2005
Thanks, JR, for a thoughtful and helpful response.

I may have used the word ‘map’ incorrectly- what I have is more a line drawing giving contour lines indicating the changes in elevation of the land. I want to match this with the photo of the land, and will do an eyeball registering of the two images, which will be close enough for my purpose.

Can I resize one image while it is superimposed on the other?

I certainly do plan to learn the software well, but am under time constraints at this time.

The individual images did not come with register marks, but Elements Photomerge function managed this registering without my help, But these images were joined side by side, not one over the other.

Innomid

postman delivers wrote:
"sam" wrote in message

Thanks for any help.

Innomid

Innomid,

Seems you have the skills to knit the map pieces together with the Elements program, have you completed both the topographic & the aerial map?
Prior to knitting the images together when they were in pieces, were there register marks or borders to allow the lineup of the topographic & the aerial map? Lining up images without register marks is a guess and beyond my scope, and with maps I would presume accuracy is needed?
Presuming you have the images ready to join in single image. Open the two images you want to use in elements.

In the Layers palette of the source image, select the layer that you want to copy.

Do one of the following:

Choose Select > All to select all of the pixels on the layer, and choose Edit > Copy. Then make the destination image active, and choose Edit > Paste.

Or

Use the move tool to drag the layer from the source image to the destination image.

The copied layer appears in the destination image where you release the mouse button (and above the active layer in the Layers palette). If the layer you’re dragging is larger than the destination image, only part of the layer is visible. You can use the move tool to drag other sections of the layer into view.

Also in windows you can use the zoom tool holding down the Alt key to make the image smaller, now it is possible to move the image around to approximate the alignment. Then zoom in as needed to have a very precise view of the register marks/border for alignment.

Sizing one layer, and not both use the transform tool for the layer that needs to become smaller or larger.
Using the image menu tools size and transform, and the tools zoom and move, you should be able to accomplish your project. Remember to save different steps with different names so you make a mess you do not need to step back very far in saved images to restart again. I would save in layered form not in jpg until you need to e-mail the map photo.

Maps are items that I would think need to be in vector form and not pixel form, which Photoshop excels in manipulating. But a small decorative map of the neighborhood that does not depend on exactness you should be able to accomplish with Photoshop Elements. It appears you are reinventing the wheel as these maps are available commercially, for Photoshop. I would ask them about Elements –

I would take more time learning the software, so the next project you want to accomplish it will be a might easier…

The above link has a list of projects that are for elements, and doing a few of these tutorials will certainly go a long way in understanding more of the programs basic tool use. Good Luck, hopefully someone with map experience will have more information for you…

JR

…………………………………………………… ….. Posted via TITANnews – Uncensored Newsgroups Access
PD
postman delivers
Feb 12, 2005
"sam" wrote in message
Thanks, JR, for a thoughtful and helpful response.

I may have used the word ‘map’ incorrectly- what I have is more a line drawing giving contour lines indicating the changes in elevation of the land. I want to match this with the photo of the land, and will do an eyeball registering of the two images, which will be close enough for my purpose.

Can I resize one image while it is superimposed on the other?
Innomid,

Yes, you have one image, on top of the other… in the layer palette click on the image you want to resize – Using the Image menu and transform. Transform will draw a box around the image you have selected. Windows Hold the shiftt key down and it will keep the aspect ratio as you drag one of the corners to enlarge or decrease size. It only transforms the image you have chosen…

If you change the image size both layers will change – transform is the tool to use for increasing or decreasing the size of one layer.

JR

I certainly do plan to learn the software well, but am under time constraints at this time.

The individual images did not come with register marks, but Elements Photomerge function managed this registering without my help, But these images were joined side by side, not one over the other.
Innomid

postman delivers wrote:
"sam" wrote in message

Thanks for any help.

Innomid

Innomid,

Seems you have the skills to knit the map pieces together with the
Elements
program, have you completed both the topographic & the aerial map?
Prior to knitting the images together when they were in pieces, were
there
register marks or borders to allow the lineup of the topographic & the aerial map? Lining up images without register marks is a guess and
beyond
my scope, and with maps I would presume accuracy is needed?
Presuming you have the images ready to join in single image. Open the
two
images you want to use in elements.

In the Layers palette of the source image, select the layer that you
want to
copy.

Do one of the following:

Or

Use the move tool to drag the layer from the source image to the
destination
image.

The copied layer appears in the destination image where you release the mouse button (and above the active layer in the Layers palette). If the layer you’re dragging is larger than the destination image, only part of
the
layer is visible. You can use the move tool to drag other sections of
the
layer into view.

Also in windows you can use the zoom tool holding down the Alt key to
make
the image smaller, now it is possible to move the image around to approximate the alignment. Then zoom in as needed to have a very
precise
view of the register marks/border for alignment.

Using the image menu tools size and transform, and the tools zoom and
move,
you should be able to accomplish your project. Remember to save
different
steps with different names so you make a mess you do not need to step
back
very far in saved images to restart again. I would save in layered form
not
in jpg until you need to e-mail the map photo.

Maps are items that I would think need to be in vector form and not
pixel
form, which Photoshop excels in manipulating. But a small decorative map
of
the neighborhood that does not depend on exactness you should be able to accomplish with Photoshop Elements. It appears you are reinventing the wheel as these maps are available commercially, for Photoshop. I would
ask
them about Elements –

I would take more time learning the software, so the next project you
want
to accomplish it will be a might easier…

The above link has a list of projects that are for elements, and doing a
few
of these tutorials will certainly go a long way in understanding more of
the
programs basic tool use. Good Luck, hopefully someone with map
experience
will have more information for you…

JR

RT
Rocky Top
Feb 13, 2005
wrote in message
Sam

I used to do what you are talking about for a living.

If you want to do serious work along this line then you are going to have use a mapping program like Arc View or Map Info. You can register topo maps on top of aerial photos or any other map layer and have lat and long to go with it. They aren’t cheap, they cost several hundred dollars. They are the only way to "register" maps with the lat and long.
A good inexpensive piece of software to do that is Oziexplorer available at http://www.oziexplorer.com/ It will allow you to set specific register points on both maps and then the program will alter the shape of the map to conform it to the register points.

RT

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections