Copying an adjustment layer – is it possible?

RP
Posted By
Robin_P_Brennan
Nov 2, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am constantly getting artwork from client that has to be adjusted by me because they are not proficient enough to do it themselves, (or too cheap to hire one extra person). And often the artwork has some complex parts in it. So I use the magic wand, select the parts that have to changed, then select the ‘create new fill or adjustment layer’ button at the bottom of the layers palette. I can only select one of – for eg – brightness/contrast or colour balance. But I will need both of these tools. The process of using the magic wand to select the target areas is sometimes finicky and/or time consuming, so here is my question: Can I copy the selected area that I have just created or brightness/contrast and use it again for colour balance?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DR
Donald_Reese
Nov 2, 2007
You should be able to just make a copy layer of your selection and do any number of adjustments to it.its apple-j on a mac,not sure on a pc. could you possibly just skip the complicated selections and just use layer masks on your duplicate layer adjustments? using a soft edge brush to paint away any changes you dont need usually is pretty simple.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 2, 2007
Copy to new layer is Ctrl+J in Windows.
AD
Andrei_Doubrovski
Nov 2, 2007
Robin,
To reselect adjustment layer mask just [Ctrl]-click its mask thumbnail.

To copy this mask to existing layer mask:
– [Ctrl]-click the "source" mask thumbnail
– Select the "destination" adjustment layer
– Tap [Shift+Ctrl+I] to invert the selection
– Tap [Ctrl+I] to invert the mask color
– Done
RP
Robin_P_Brennan
Nov 2, 2007
You sir are a steely eyed missile-man. Thank you very much, you have saved me from much mouse-hand cramping.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections