RJ
Posted By
reynolds_john
Aug 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This may be a rather basic question. I have an image with say 7 layers. I’d like to add an adjustment layer to brighten say layer 5 but do not want to affect the underlying layers 1-4. I believe I could lock the underlying layers but that would limit what I could do with them. I could merge the adjustment layer with layer 5 but then I could not adjust it later. It seems there must be a simple answer to my problem that I’m just unaware of.

Thanks in advance,
John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GD
George Dingwall
Aug 21, 2007
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:40:02 -0700, wrote:

This may be a rather basic question. I have an image with say 7 layers. I’d like to add an adjustment layer to brighten say layer 5 but do not want to affect the underlying layers 1-4. I believe I could lock the underlying layers but that would limit what I could do with them. I could merge the adjustment layer with layer 5 but then I could not adjust it later. It seems there must be a simple answer to my problem that I’m just unaware of.

Thanks in advance,
John

Hi John,

After you create your adjustment layer, move the cursor to the boundary between the adjustment layer and the layer below. Now press the ALT key and the cursor will change to something that looks like two interlocking circles.

Now just click once and the effect of the adjustment layer will be limited to the layer you applied it to.

Hope this helps.
Bye for now,

George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk
T
TRH
Aug 21, 2007
wrote in news:1187707202.861432.301780
@l22g2000prc.googlegroups.com:

Thanks in advance,
John

Clip the adjustment layer with the underlying layer by holding the alt (windows) or option (Mac) key and click the line between the adjustment layer and the underlying layer in the layer palette.
RJ
reynolds_john
Aug 21, 2007
Thanks George and TRH. Exactly what I was looking for.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections