T
Posted By
tcoop
Oct 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need some advice on enlarging a picture. I have a picture that is about 3X5 and i would like to enlarge to around 5X7. The exact size is all that important, i just need to make it bigger and look good.
I have a HP 2400 color smart all in one scanner and printer. What is the correct way to do this?
I was thinking about scanning the picture at like 1200 dpi and then resize to 5X7 and see if that works.
Is there a website that tells in detail how to do this?

Thanks for the help
Tom

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
Shane
Oct 2, 2004
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 09:59:46 -0400, "tcoop" wrote:

I need some advice on enlarging a picture. I have a picture that is about 3X5 and i would like to enlarge to around 5X7. The exact size is all that important, i just need to make it bigger and look good.
I have a HP 2400 color smart all in one scanner and printer. What is the correct way to do this?
I was thinking about scanning the picture at like 1200 dpi and then resize to 5X7 and see if that works.

Thanks for the help

Gidday Tom

Your strategy sounds about right.

For software to "enlarge" an image, it must either spread the number of pixels more widely, or "interpolate" them (ie: guess what should have been there.

Given that you would usually scan and print at 300 dpi, scanning at 1200 dpi and increasing the size of the image (without interpolation) would be your best bet.

One thing: make sure the surface of your image and the glass on your scanner is absolutely clean. 1200 dpi will pick up any tiny bit of dirt! :-)}

Regards from sunny Canberra

Shane Baker
tcoop
Oct 3, 2004
Thanks for your help, I wanted to make sure i was headed in the correct difection,,,Thanks again…Tom

"Shane Baker" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 09:59:46 -0400, "tcoop" wrote:

Thanks for the help

Gidday Tom

Your strategy sounds about right.

For software to "enlarge" an image, it must either spread the number of pixels more widely, or "interpolate" them (ie: guess what should have been there.

Given that you would usually scan and print at 300 dpi, scanning at 1200 dpi and increasing the size of the image (without interpolation) would be your best bet.

One thing: make sure the surface of your image and the glass on your scanner is absolutely clean. 1200 dpi will pick up any tiny bit of dirt! :-)}

Regards from sunny Canberra

Shane Baker

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections