ER
Posted By
Eugene_Rocha
Jul 29, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been asking all around about how this person did the color treatment on this photo. I’m not so interested in the graphical elements, just the coloring. Thanks in advance.

< http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50424988/?qo=814&q=t ypography&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3 A5>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Jul 29, 2007

1. Don’t copy.

2. Explore and invent your own style.

3. Bask in the glory of people asking YOU did YOUR stuff.

4. ???

5. Profit!
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jul 29, 2007
Eugene,

I’ve been asking all around about how this person did the color treatment on this photo

Why ask "all around" in stead of "this person"?

He/she’d know how it’s done.

Rob
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 30, 2007
I’m not so interested in the graphical elements, just the coloring.

A lot of it could have been done at the actual photo shoot, with colored cells over the several spots that were used to light the scene.

Or it could be photoshop wizardry …
GT
Grace_Thorley
Jul 30, 2007
Just send a message to the person.
It doesn’t look like they seem to answers to comments so sending a ‘note’ might be better if you want an answer.
Try not to copy though like it’s been said before 🙂
HB
Heather Bell
Jul 30, 2007
If I wanted to do something similar I’d take a photo (grey), make three duotones of it in the pink / green / blue colors, take as three layers in PS and systematically delete through to show the color layer I wanted for specific areas of the photo.
There are many many many ways to do. The other posters are right though, that if you want the actuals for how this was done, go to the source.
BD
Brett Dalton
Jul 31, 2007
Base layer is a photo which has been desaturated and at least a glow effect applied (prob an adjustment layer affecting several layers)

I see the stars are another texture later. although it looks to be copied several times and distorted in a variety of ways, montion blurs mostly.

There are several illustrator/vector layers in the letters and the circles on the right of screen.

there are several gradient overlays which is the colour added.

I’m guessing at all this here but upwards of 20+ layers here a lot are very subtle.

BTW thanks for putting me onto another great DA artist

BRETT
ER
Eugene_Rocha
Jul 31, 2007
Thank you to those who helped with actual info on the picture.

To those who say don’t copy, I’m just looking for how the color treatments were done. If that’s copying…oh well. It’s a neat style and I would like to implement it into a design. Guess what…nothing’s original!
P
Phosphor
Aug 1, 2007
Here’s the real point, Eugene:

Often, when someone asks how to achieve a certain "effect", and then presents an example, it may be either A) impossible to explain how to get from a plain photo to the end result, or B ) there may be many ways, with many twists and turns along the way, to get from the photo to the end result, making it virtually impossible to trot out a hard-and-fast set of instructions.

Further, there are times when an artist will simply mess around with an image—jamming with pixels as a musician jams with sound—and even the artist may not be able to adequately explain how they did what they did. I know that there have been many times where I have done this—both as a guitarist and as a Photoshop hack. With pixel jamming I’d get to a point in an image manipulation and have an imperfect recall of how I did it. I’d try to replicate the process and fail. So, I leave it at that, and trust myself, knowing that I can do something just as interesting later. It may not be the exact same look, but interesting none the less.

Soooo, my suggestion to you is quite valid. Experiment, and come up with cool results that will durprise you, as well as others who view your work.

Sometimes, the process of exploration is more interesting than the result, and that can end up being MUCH more satisfying.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections