JC
Posted By
Jonathan_Consiglio
Jun 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had downloaded the demo a while back for NIK Color Efex Pro Complete and had it when I used CS2 then moved it to CS3 where it still worked (with an overlay).. I decided to buy it the other day and once it was installed Photoshop CS3 closes and says "Photoshop must closes, windows is checking for a solution"…

I uninstalled NIK and reinstalled te demo and it still closes everytime I try to use it.. So, after a couple tries I reinstalled CS2 to see if the retail version of NIK would work with CS2 and it does.. I then did a repair reinstall of CS3 and it still doesn’t work! I can’t understand why it works with CS2 and not CS3 when the demo woked with CS3 and it’s made to be used with Vista and CS3??

This is driving me crazy! I use a few of the filters fairly often in my wedding workflow and now I’m getting a little concerned. All of my other plug-ins, including NIK Sharpener, still work, so I don’t understand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan Consiglio

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MG
Marina_Garrison
Aug 30, 2007
Hi Jonathan
I have the same problem, CS3, Nik and a Vista machine. It works fine with PSE5 on the same machine, and I have an XP machine running CS3 with Nik fine too.

Did you ever get this resolved? My conclusion is that it is an incompatibility with Vista as the XP machine works fine. I’m just not sure how to fix it.

Thanks,
Marina
S
sjnagletx
Sep 1, 2007
Anyone ever get this resolved? I am having this same problem.
B
Buko
Sep 1, 2007
Has anyone contacted the Plugin maker?
MG
Marina_Garrison
Sep 1, 2007
Ok Jonathan figured it out and sent me the steps:

First you must uninstall Nik Color Efex. Then re-install NIK Color Efex into another directory that isn’t your CS3\plug-ins.

Jonathan picked his c:\program files\adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\plugins, I picked my c:\program files\adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\plugins.

Then copy the newly created folder (Nik color efex Pro 2.0 complete) to your desktop. Then cut and paste that folder from you desktop to CS3\plug-ins. (We don’t know why but copying it directly to the CS3 plugins folder doesn’t work.)

If you don’t have another Adobe product to install to, you could try installing to any folder that isn’t CS3\plug-ins and follow the same steps.
S
sjnagletx
Sep 2, 2007
Marina – thank you so much! That worked great. I really appericate you taking time to reply!

Sheri
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 3, 2007
just as a tip, it’s always good to install 3rd party plugins and save custom stuff like actions and styles, etc. OUT of the photoshop path. I save my stuff to a folder like C:\DavesCustomPhotoshopStuff

that way you don’t have to reinstall every time you install a new version. you just point to that location in the preferences as the secondary plugin location, or you load you custom actions and stuff from there into the new version’s palettes (panels, whatever!<g>)
AK
Alex_Krylov
Sep 9, 2007
The problem was solved only when I’ve disabled UAC (User Access Control) on Vista. The same cure is for the Nik Sharpener. I think it can be something with user permissions on directories. Maybe under UAC plugin can’t write required info into folder, creaded under other account. Maybe copying to and from Desktop changes those permissions. The Vista is a strange thing.
J
jemil75
Sep 10, 2007
On 3 sep, 17:18, wrote:
just as a tip, it’s always good to install 3rd party plugins and save custom stuff like actions and styles, etc. OUT of thephotoshoppath. I save my stuff to a folder like C:\DavesCustomPhotoshopStuff

that way you don’t have to reinstall every time you install a new version. you just point to that location in the preferences as the secondary plugin location, or you load you custom actions and stuff from there into the new version’s palettes (panels, whatever!<g>)

Ok, I found the way: just install it normally and change the autorisations for the whole subfolder where you installed the filters (even in the photoshop folder), so that anybody can have a complete control on it. And it will work!
N
none
Oct 4, 2007
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:58:07 -0700, wrote:

On 3 sep, 17:18, wrote:
just as a tip, it’s always good to install 3rd party plugins and save custom stuff like actions and styles, etc. OUT of thephotoshoppath. I save my stuff to a folder like C:\DavesCustomPhotoshopStuff

Ok, I found the way: just install it normally and change the autorisations for the whole subfolder where you installed the filters (even in the photoshop folder), so that anybody can have a complete control on it. And it will work!

Yuck!!!
A horrible workaround at best. I surely hope that Adobe will fix this code and reprimand the incompetent who wrote it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections