V
Posted By
v6v6v6
Mar 26, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’ve been getting a message recently and it seems to occur when I startup CS4 for the first time after booting up my MacBook Pro (running OS 10.5.6). It says "Initializing Type Tool" and includes a progress bar.

I haven’t installed any new fonts or other applications in the past week and I actually upgraded from 2 to 4GB of RAM this morning. I’m opening up PS from the dock, not via double-clicking a PSD.

I don’t notice any problems with PS, but I just wonder if this is indicative of my system running slower than before. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 27, 2009
v,

It says "Initializing Type Tool" and includes a progress bar.

How many fonts do you have activated?

Neil
R
Ram
Mar 27, 2009
That message is always present the first time you launch Photoshop CS4 in a session. You must have not noticed it before.

It can even be delayed when you launch Photoshop CS4 but immediately switch to another application, before Photoshop finishes launching. In this cases you won’t see it until you bring Photoshop to the front.

It’s perfectly normal.

Neil’s question is pertinent. The more fonts you have, the longer it will take. This message replaces the old "Building Font Menus" and/or "Optimizing Font Menus" of old.
V
v6v6v6
Mar 27, 2009
Hey Neil, I’ve got 222 fonts installed according to Font Book. I believe it’s the standard set of fonts provided with OS 10.5 since I haven’t installed any myself.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 27, 2009
v,

I thought you might be trying to load 1000s of fonts, which would make the display of that message more obvious. But it is as Ramón says — not to worry.

Neil
V
v6v6v6
Mar 27, 2009
Ok, thanks for your reply. I’ve been using CS4 on the Mac since early February and I didn’t notice it until this week. I don’t think it’s the RAM since I just upgraded yesterday and the message showed up earlier in the week. Probably just the fact that my new Mac is starting slow down a bit after normal usage, huh?
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 27, 2009
Probably just the fact that my new Mac is starting slow down a bit after normal usage, huh?

Are you talking about a span of a few hours or a few weeks?

Neil
V
v6v6v6
Mar 27, 2009
7 weeks, to be exact.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 27, 2009
How long is it since you cleaned out your Caches?
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 27, 2009
Also, how much free hard drive space do you have?

Neil
V
v6v6v6
Mar 27, 2009
How long is it since you cleaned out your Caches?

I’ve never cleaned out my system cache yet.

Also, how much free hard drive space do you have?

I have 180GB free.
PC
Paul_Cutler
Mar 28, 2009
I get that message regularly on CS3 – just lasts for a few seconds – normally I have 300-400 fonts active using the last free version of Font Exporer X. I clean my caches (including font caches) regularly.

pbc
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 28, 2009
The Cocktail or Onyx utility has options to clean out font caches.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 28, 2009
Cocktail (or Onyx, as I recall) has options to clean out font caches.

Neil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections