How do I get fonts which I have downloaded to work on Adobe Photoshop?

AD
Posted By
Android_dryice
Aug 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know how to do this? I have un zipped all of the folders which I have downloaded and I have put them into the windows fonts folder. They are not working so I am guessing I have put them on the wrong folder, do I have to put them into my Adobe photoshop folders? If anyone knows what I’m doing wrong I’d be very grateful for some help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 27, 2004
Elements doesn’t store fonts, so that’s not it. After you installed them, did you do a restart?
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 27, 2004
Simply copying the font files may not be as effective as "installing" the fonts in the control panel . Be aware that too many fonts installed can create some other problems. That’s why people who love fonts also love font management apps.

🙂

Brent
GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 27, 2004
Brent

Just add them to you system in the usual fashion and Elements will detect them.

Grant
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 27, 2004
I’m not a "fontaholic" but I always though the "usual system" was to go to font menu in Control panel, and File > install fonts . As to problems with too many fonts, its never been clear to me, whether this phenomenon was at least partially OS version based or not. I suspect registry limitations are the issue, and those limitations change with newer versions of Windows.

🙂

Brent
R
RSD99
Aug 27, 2004
"Brent Bertram" posted:
"…
As to problems with too many fonts, its never been clear to me, whether this phenomenon was at least partially OS version based or not.
…."

It varies with what version of windows you are running, Windows 98 and Windows ME are the poorest" … (IIRC) with a registry limit of 64 kB for the font "key."

That was "improved" with Windows 2000 and Windows XP … and I don’t remember the kilobyte
number, but people have reported installing several thousand fonts. There, the limitation would be with programs that load all of the fonts on startup … as **all** Adobe programs do … taking a long time to start and running very slowly due to the increased "font load."

Brent also asked:
"…
I suspect registry limitations are the issue, and those limitations change with newer versions of Windows
…."

True … the 16-bit Windows (Windows 98, ME) had a limit of 64 kB on the size of any one Registry key. That has been increased in Windows 2000 and XP … I do not know the current upper limit.

Practicality, CPU speed, and installed RAM memory dictates just how many fonts you can load without seriously degrading the system’s performance. MOST of the people who really have a **lot** of fonts usually end up running their systems with just the bare-bones Windows font load permanently installed (somewhere around 200 fonts … IIRC), and using a Font Manager to control the other fonts in their collection(s).

wrote in message
I’m not a "fontaholic" but I always though the "usual system" was to go to font menu in
Control panel, and File > install fonts . As to problems with too many fonts, its never been clear to me, whether this phenomenon was at least partially OS version based or not. I suspect registry limitations are the issue, and those limitations change with newer versions of Windows.
🙂

Brent
R
RSD99
Aug 27, 2004
BTW … I forgot to add

An excellent reference on fonts can be found in the alt.binaries.fonts FAQ. It is well done, current, covers all platforms, and available at

http://abf.jamesgoffin.co.uk/

"RSD99" wrote in message
"Brent Bertram" posted:
"…
As to problems with too many fonts, its never been clear to me, whether this phenomenon was at least partially OS version based or not.
…"

It varies with what version of windows you are running, Windows 98 and Windows ME are
the
poorest" … (IIRC) with a registry limit of 64 kB for the font "key."
That was "improved" with Windows 2000 and Windows XP … and I don’t remember the
kilobyte
number, but people have reported installing several thousand fonts. There, the
limitation
would be with programs that load all of the fonts on startup … as **all** Adobe
programs
do … taking a long time to start and running very slowly due to the increased "font load."

Brent also asked:
"…
I suspect registry limitations are the issue, and those limitations change with newer versions of Windows
…"

True … the 16-bit Windows (Windows 98, ME) had a limit of 64 kB on the size of any one Registry key. That has been increased in Windows 2000 and XP … I do not know the
current
upper limit.

Practicality, CPU speed, and installed RAM memory dictates just how many fonts you can load without seriously degrading the system’s performance. MOST of the people who really have a **lot** of fonts usually end up running their systems with just the bare-bones Windows font load permanently installed (somewhere around 200 fonts … IIRC), and using
a
Font Manager to control the other fonts in their collection(s).

wrote in message
I’m not a "fontaholic" but I always though the "usual system" was to go to font menu
in
Control panel, and File > install fonts . As to problems with too many fonts, its never been clear to me, whether this phenomenon was at least partially OS version based or
not.
I suspect registry limitations are the issue, and those limitations change with newer versions of Windows.
🙂

Brent

AR
austin_rosh
Sep 2, 2004
where is a good site to get font d/l at?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections