R
Posted By
Rick
Jan 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been doing, as a favor, cropping, color correction, adjustment, etc. of photos in order to print a better image.

Started as an accommodation for friends and family and has now expanded to where I’m receiving heavy request from the general public where I’m unwilling to do the work without just compensation.

I have no idea what to charge for these ‘jobs’ as they are outside my normal work.

BTW I have business locations in Dallas Texas and Charlotte NC if that has any impact on the issue.

Any input would be appreciated.

Karen

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DB
Dave B
Jan 23, 2005
I struggled with the same thing until I started making my living doing graphics.

While I’ve more or less figured out a pricing schedule that I stick to these days. I arrived at these figures based on two methods. One – I was fortunate to have a friend who does graphics, and I based a lot of my pricing on what he charges. I also did a lot of web searches to see what others were charging for various tasks. And occasionally I would call a local business for a quote (I say occasionally, because I don’t really want to disturb legitimate businesses with bogus quotes – but a quick "what do you charge for a full color logo or letterhead usually only takes a few seconds). You’ll find that prices vary widely, so I move on to the next criteria:

"Am I willing to do (whatever job) for X amount of dollars?" Sometimes the answer is yes – sometimes it’s no.

If someone comes to you with a picture and asks you to do your magic – ask yourself "how long will this likely take me?" And then ask, am I willing to spend that time for, say, $50? if the answer is no – ask yourself if you’re willing to do it for $100? Eventually you will come to a minimum figure that you feel your time is worth. And not just your time – but your skill level. I may take 30 minutes to do something because I happen to be very good at it. So my rate for that job might not be based on real time – but rather – what is that job worth on the open market ( see above)… 🙂 ).

And finally – I’ve found that when I only take good paying jobs – I only get good paying jobs. In other words – the freeloaders and cheapskates go elsewhere when I start quoting them a realistic price…

Hope that helps…

Dave B

"WhyMe" wrote in message
I’ve been doing, as a favor, cropping, color correction, adjustment, etc.
of
photos in order to print a better image.

Started as an accommodation for friends and family and has now expanded to where I’m receiving heavy request from the general public where I’m unwilling to do the work without just compensation.

I have no idea what to charge for these ‘jobs’ as they are outside my
normal
work.

BTW I have business locations in Dallas Texas and Charlotte NC if that has any impact on the issue.

Any input would be appreciated.

Karen

R
Rick
Jan 23, 2005
"Dave B" <

| I struggled with the same thing until I started making my living doing | graphics.
|
| While I’ve more or less figured out a pricing schedule that I stick to these
| days. I arrived at these figures based on two methods. One – I was fortunate
| to have a friend who does graphics, and I based a lot of my pricing on what
| he charges. I also did a lot of web searches to see what others were | charging for various tasks. And occasionally I would call a local business | for a quote (I say occasionally, because I don’t really want to disturb | legitimate businesses with bogus quotes – but a quick "what do you charge | for a full color logo or letterhead usually only takes a few seconds). | You’ll find that prices vary widely, so I move on to the next criteria: |
| "Am I willing to do (whatever job) for X amount of dollars?" Sometimes the
| answer is yes – sometimes it’s no.
|
| If someone comes to you with a picture and asks you to do your magic – ask | yourself "how long will this likely take me?" And then ask, am I willing to
| spend that time for, say, $50? if the answer is no – ask yourself if you’re
| willing to do it for $100? Eventually you will come to a minimum figure that
| you feel your time is worth. And not just your time – but your skill level.
| I may take 30 minutes to do something because I happen to be very good at | it. So my rate for that job might not be based on real time – but rather – | what is that job worth on the open market ( see above)… 🙂 ). |
| And finally – I’ve found that when I only take good paying jobs – I only get
| good paying jobs. In other words – the freeloaders and cheapskates go | elsewhere when I start quoting them a realistic price… |
| Hope that helps…
|
| Dave B

I’m a bit in reverse of your situation. I’ve been making my bread for almost half a century as an artist. I too have worked cheap and dear (dear has been much more remunerative, cheap was because I did not know any better)

In this instance I could likewise cherry pick and miss the fun of doing the work or low ball the price and have more work than I can stand.

At my age the problem is finding the middle ground with the minimum of trial and error.

Again all input is appreciated.

Regards

Karen
R
Ryadia
Jan 23, 2005
WhyMe wrote:
I’m a bit in reverse of your situation. I’ve been making my bread for almost half a century as an artist. I too have worked cheap and dear (dear has been much more remunerative, cheap was because I did not know any better)

In this instance I could likewise cherry pick and miss the fun of doing the work or low ball the price and have more work than I can stand.
At my age the problem is finding the middle ground with the minimum of trial and error.

Regards

Karen

Perhaps an average time of what you do (if the work is repetitive) might allow you to come up with an average time per image and then you could convert this to your hourly worth and use it as a fixed price + materials.

Our digital print centre uses this method and while some prices might look expensive, my attitude is: "That is how long it takes and this is what I charge, if it’s out of your range, feel free to go elsewhere".

There is a lot to be said for putting your price up until the demand equals the supply rate. I have never understood those people who complain about being snowed under with work but charge so little they have to be if they want to eat.

Doug
MJ
Monty Jake Monty
Jan 23, 2005
Charge whatever the market will bear.

Steve

— faith \’fath\ n : firm belief in something for which there is no proof. Webster’s Dictionary

Newsgroups: alt.graphics.photoshop
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:16:44 +1000
Subject: Re: How to price work?

WhyMe wrote:

Regards

Karen

Perhaps an average time of what you do (if the work is repetitive) might allow you to come up with an average time per image and then you could convert this to your hourly worth and use it as a fixed price + materials.
Our digital print centre uses this method and while some prices might look expensive, my attitude is: "That is how long it takes and this is what I charge, if it’s out of your range, feel free to go elsewhere".
There is a lot to be said for putting your price up until the demand equals the supply rate. I have never understood those people who complain about being snowed under with work but charge so little they have to be if they want to eat.

Doug
H
Hecate
Jan 24, 2005
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:16:44 +1000, Ryadia wrote:

That’s this weeks best advice 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections