BM
Posted By
Bob_Morley
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running XP and just installed Photoshop Elements 2.0 and want to make it the default application for use with certain files e.g. JPEGs.

I already had Photoshop Elements 1.0 installed. When I tried to do this through Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options, Photoshop Elements v1.0 was detected as one of the recommended programs, but Photoshop Elements 2.0 was not, nor did it appear in the list of programs. I browsed to the exe and selected it. Strangely, it was not selected as the default app.

I then assumed that Photoshop Elements 1.0 was causing XP to get confused, so I deleted it and re-installed Photoshop Elements 2.0. Unfortunately this has made no difference.

When I select the Open button in the Open With window that appears with the browse options, I get no error message, the window closes but nothing has been changed.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
JesusIsGod
Aug 27, 2004
Did you uninstall Elements 1.0 or just deleted it? Also, did you reboot your machine before trying to change the default?

After deinstalling Elements 1 and rebooting, then installing Elements 2 and rebooting again, try the following:

1) select a file, e.g. a jpeg
2) right-click on it
3) choose Open with…
4) select Photoshop Elements from the list
5) check ‘Always use this application’
6) click ok

Hopefully that will work.

Robert Ash
KB
Kiwi_Blair
Aug 27, 2004
Why would you want run PSE to view every jpeg image ? PSE is like all Adobe products – rather slow to open/set up. Much quicker to allow Image Preview or similar to open images quickly. Then if I want to work on the image, that’s when I start PSE.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 27, 2004
Kiwi….

Slow is a relative term. Once you’ve opened Elements and use the File Browser it’s ok…..which is also a relative term….:-)

Colin
RV
Robert_Vernon
Sep 1, 2004
The issue that I have experienced in this same area is that I want to view my pictures when I OPEN them with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (WP&FV, for short). It is fast, good slideshow, very very simple editing capability, etc. However, when I want to do substantial Editing I click on the "Edit" Icon at the bottom of the WP&FV screen, Photoshop Elements boots up, which is exactly what I want.

That is, it booted up until I installed SP2. Now, another crummy editor which came installed on my machine boots up instead. So….I go through the procedure described above (right click, Open with,etc.)asking for Photoshop Elements, and now I get that instead of the WP&FV when I open the picture.

Summary, I want WP&PV when I OPEN the picture, I want PHotoshop Elements when I Edit. Just like I had before I installed SP2.

Any help would be appreciated.
PF
Pat_FLaten
Sep 1, 2004
Likewise, after installing Photoshop Elements, when I want to view pdf documents on Internet or software manuals, Photoshop Elements is automatically chosen as the software, although I also have Adobe Reader installed. I would rather open these documents through Adobe REader – how do I create that preference?

Pat
BH
Beth_Haney
Sep 1, 2004
Pat, did you try the method Robert outlined in post #1 on this thread? That should work, unless you’re using a different operating system. What do you run?
PF
Pat_FLaten
Sep 2, 2004
Thanks, I am using Windows 98. Can’t seem to make the shift right click option work for finding ‘open with’.
NS
Nancy_S
Sep 2, 2004
Pat,

Did you first single click on the file (to hightlight it), hold down the shift key and then right click?
PF
Pat_FLaten
Sep 2, 2004
Nancy – okay, not sure what the issue was but I had Acrobat 6.0 already but went back to Acrobat to download again, this time downloading Acrobat 5.0 and presto, the files I was attempting to open before, unsuccessfully, automatically opened with Acrobat 5.0 so I am a happy camper indeed.

As for the suggestion – because Nero has its manuals on a touch to open, I can’t highlight it, then do the shift right click movement work. But maybe there was another option. So, I don’t know nearly enough about setting defaults but is it possible that my computer will revert to using something other than Acrobat Reader to open pdf files?

Thanks,
Pat
NS
Nancy_S
Sep 2, 2004
Robert,

See if this works for you.

* Right click on a jpg (I assume)file.
* Choose "Open With".
* Choose the option "Choose Program" (even if Windows P & F Viewer is showing in this box)
* Locate and select Win P&F Viewer
* Put a checkmark in the box which says "Always Use This Program).

Within Win P&F Viewer
* right click the Edit icon (just to the left of the Help icon) * PSE should be listed there, click on it
NS
Nancy_S
Sep 2, 2004
Pat,

You may run into some compatibility issues with Acrobat Reader V.5 down the road. Some of the newer stuff requires V.6 I’ve seen. If/when that happens, you can deal with it then, but as of now you are happy that A.Reader 5 is opening pdf files.

When you installed PSE, a section in the Setup gave the user a chance to associate certain file types with it. You probably just accepted the defaults which allowed PSE to give itself top priority for opening most (all?) image files and probably pdfs.

You have changed the file format associations again when you installed another Acrobat Reader. The program’s default is to open pdfs and this is how it should be.

Pdfs will continue to open with Acrobat Reader unless you install a new program which can open pdfs (like Adobe Illustrator). And even then, you need not give it permission to be the default opening program.

I am not sure what "Nero has its manuals on a touch to open" means. Maybe you have your computer set up to open files with a single click??? I have been using WinXP for quite awhile now and perhaps I remembered incorrectly about having to highlight before right clicking in Win98. But anyway, you’re squared away now. Computers can be a challenge at times 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections