Record your license numbers…this may help.

CW
Posted By
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve seen a few posts where people are asking about how to get the serial number or license key when they’ve had to re-install and can figure out where or what it is.

This link has a free download which does an audit on your PC (sorry Mac guys) and will list all your software along with the relevant key numbers. Run this and file it somewhere safe for future reference.

It also provides details on your hardware as well. Supposedly privacy is respected.

<http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html>

Colin

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 24, 2004
<Colin_Woodbridge wrote …
This link has a free download which does an audit on your PC (sorry Mac
guys) and will list all your software along with the relevant key numbers. Run this and file it somewhere safe for future reference.

Unfortunately, it does not return the last 4 digits of the serial number. But still a nice program to keep around.

Ed
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 24, 2004
I’d noticed that Ed, but I’m sure I read somewhere that the last 4 digits are the Product ID which should always be the same.

Colin
LG
Lorace_Graham
Aug 24, 2004
I’ve had this program for years now, and find it to be pretty invaluable.

Thanks for reminding me to run it now and then. LOL

Lorace
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 24, 2004
While I found this utility very helpful, I think the best way to be sure you can always find that SN# is to register as soon as you install the software. That way if you ever have to reinstall, you can find your SN# through Adobe. I also write the # in front of the manual and sometimes on the CD.

I’m not sure about those last 4 digits being product ID — I think that’s the first four numbers. I have two copies (one I bought and one came with Wacom tablet), both start with 1045. Last four digits are different.

Patti
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 24, 2004
Colin,

Last 4 digits are different on my 2 copies …

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 24, 2004
well, i have this green notebook that i write all my serial #’s in. For me that is the safest method….despite all the glory of today’s technology i still revert to the old paper and pencil to keep things in order….can’t always trust that my PC will always be friendly…tho it’s been real good to me so far ( knock on wood ).
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 25, 2004
.. last 4 digits are the Product ID which should always be the same.

Absolutely not correct, as others have mentioned.

Mac
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 25, 2004
Colin_Woodbridge wrote:
I’ve seen a few posts where people are asking about how to get the serial number or license key when they’ve had to re-install and can figure out where or what it is.

This link has a free download which does an audit on your PC (sorry Mac guys) and will list all your software along with the relevant key numbers. Run this and file it somewhere safe for future reference.

With the first 8 digits or so, it is easier to find the registry key which holds the complete registration number.

Of course this doesn’t help when you’ve formatted the disk, and lost all traces of the serial no. Then you need to call Adobe.

Ed
R
RSD99
Aug 25, 2004
And you didn’t back up your Registry?

It’s really easy to do … just make copies of four files;

system.dat
user.dat
win.ini
system.ini

and store them in a different subdirectory. Then, if you really want to be paranoid, start regedit.exe, and ‘export’ the whole registry to the same subdirectory.

It at least gives you a point of reference …

wrote in message
Colin_Woodbridge wrote:

With the first 8 digits or so, it is easier to find the registry key which holds the complete registration number.

Of course this doesn’t help when you’ve formatted the disk, and lost all traces of the serial no. Then you need to call Adobe.

Ed

RS
Robin_Schold
Aug 26, 2004
Colin

This app was exactly what I’ve been looking for: I needed the Code for a windows 98 I want to move from a Pentium II desktop to a PII Laptop with Win 95. The desktop has been gathering dust but one of my kids can use the laptop for school. I have the disc but couldn’t find the code. I was almost ready to buy a new Win 98 on e-bay for about $80. Thanks!

Robin S

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections