Posted By
Tom_Aellis
Jan 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Good Morning.

While running a recorded Action, I’d like to be able to "Open" several thumbnails that I have selected first and then run the script and "Save as" a new file name.
This will allow me to not open all the files first and then run one action at a time i.e. -Select several – Run script "F1" etc….

I can’t seem to get the "open" part correct in my action. Can you help please.
Thanks so much
Tom

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 25, 2007
That’s how Actions work. You might be able to do it with an action that merely opens the files and does nothing to the file (Copies a selection say), then run actions on individual open files.

Or rather than use an action to open the files, just highlight the ones you want opened and open them all through Windows Explorer.

You might need to rethink your workflow.
TA
Tom_Aellis
Jan 25, 2007
Thank you Ed. So I can’t…..

Select a number of files in Bridge …..
Run a script that opens all selected files….
Continue with that same script that runs some adjustments such as: Primatte… and then Save as…and closes the file… ?

Or did I read this wrong, if so, I’m having trouble understanding how to begin the recorded script..Simply begin with "OPEN" ?

Again, thanks
Tom
B
Bernie
Jan 25, 2007
Simply begin with "OPEN"

In my experience, you want to avoid recording the opening of a file since the action will always want to open that particular file. I simply open a sample file and then start recording my actions.
ML
Mark_Larsen
Jan 25, 2007
Sure you can. Don’t record the open step. Just record your changes and the "save as" step. make selection from bridge then tools/photoshop/batch you now have the bridge selection as source you can rename your files. click the override box so your action save as is used. Choose folder as desination.
TA
Tom_Aellis
Jan 25, 2007
Mark, this is just what I need.
I begun like this.

It’s working…..Thank you so much…
Funny thing is….

When my "selected" file opens, it’s the right file name on top but the image is blank However, it saves the image in my new folder correctly. Wonder why, the first action I have is double clicking the "background layer" to make it a edit layer….

Thank you so much….

Tom
ML
Mark_Larsen
Jan 25, 2007
Not sure what your first issue is caused by but this works fine for me and is a very good halfway house to scripting. Your random selection of files through bridge is easily managed just by dragging the items you want to the beginning of the window. A little playing about you should be sorted. I’ve only had bridge 3 weeks so a lot of learning to do with this yet.
R
Ram
Jan 25, 2007
Ed,

open them all through Windows Explorer.

Not enough caffeine yet? This is the Photoshop Macintosh forum.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections