WB
Posted By
Wayne_B_Rells
Aug 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve started using the FireFox browser instead of the much-larger Mozilla 1.7. The only problem so far is that PSE2 keeps bringing up Mozilla (which is still on my system) when I access the ‘Help’ file(s). I’ve changed all the file associations from ‘Mozilla’ to ‘FixFox’, but that doesn’t seem to be sufficient.

Can anyone suggest what ELSE I’ll need to do in order to get PSE2 to use FireFox? (I’d like to delete Mozilla from my system, but I don’t dare to do so while PSE2 is still using it!)

Wayne

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 23, 2004
You don’t say which operating system you’re using, but I’ll assume Windows. Have you changed the default browser in Control Panels?
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 23, 2004
Wayne_B_Rells wrote:
Can anyone suggest what ELSE I’ll need to do in order to get PSE2 to use FireFox? (I’d like to delete Mozilla from my system, but I don’t dare to do so while PSE2 is still using it!)

If you have windows, find an html file on your computer, any will do. Hold down shift and right-click the file. Choose "Open with…"

When you get to a dialog box, scroll the list of applications and find firefox. Beofre you click ok, check the box "Always use…"

Ed
WB
Wayne_B_Rells
Aug 24, 2004
I am, indeed, using Windows 2000. Sorry that I did not mention this in my original post.

Beth – I’m a bit confused by your comment about a default browser in Control Panels. Can you be a little more specific as to what Control Panel(s) contain a reference to a default browser?

Ed – I followed your suggestion, but PSE2 still wants to use Mozilla to display the ‘help’ files. It really seems that there must be a reference to Mozilla in some PSE2 configuration file, but I can’t find it (or find any way of changing it)!

Any additional comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Wayne
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 24, 2004
Internet Options in Control Panel.
Or same in IE itself, Tools/Internet Options
Under Programs tab, "IE Should Check to See if it is Default Browser".

That’s an easy way to get it back as default. Check that, then open IE.

Mac
WB
Wayne_B_Rells
Aug 24, 2004
Folks – Firefox IS my default brower. If I start either IE or Mozilla, they say that they are NOT the default browser & ask if I want them to be the default (which I don’t).

So, I’m still perplexed as to WHY PSE2 keeps bringing up Mozilla rather than Firefox. NOTE: If I double click on the main PSE2 HTML help file, Firefox DOES start – it is only when I bring up ‘help’ from WITHIN PSE2 that I have a problem.

Wayne
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 24, 2004
Wayne,

You probably have already ruled this out, so I mention it only for the record…

The two file types, HTM and HTML, can each be registered with different default browsers, so both may need to be explicitly associated with the desired program.

Byron
WB
Wayne_B_Rells
Aug 24, 2004
Byron,

Yes, I changed ALL of the Mozilla file associations to Firefox. I also did a test of double clicking on both an HTM and an HTML file, and Firefox came up in both cases.

Wayne
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 25, 2004
Wayne,

Was Mozilla your default browser before you installed Firefox?

If so (or even if not) then you can probably just de-install Mozilla and reboot your system. PSE help should then use the new default browser (Firefox). If not then you can always re-install Mozilla again.

As a last resort you can always deinstall PSE, then deinstall Mozilla and reinstall PSE. PSE should find your default browser then.

Robert Ash
RH
Ron Hunter
Aug 25, 2004
wrote:

I’ve started using the FireFox browser instead of the much-larger Mozilla 1.7. The only problem so far is that PSE2 keeps bringing up Mozilla (which is still on my system) when I access the ‘Help’ file(s). I’ve changed all the file associations from ‘Mozilla’ to ‘FixFox’, but that doesn’t seem to be sufficient.

Wayne

Firefox works fine here for Help. Suggest making sure Firefox is the default browser selected. You can find that under tools/options/general.
RH
Ron Hunter
Aug 25, 2004
wrote:

Folks – Firefox IS my default brower. If I start either IE or Mozilla, they say that they are NOT the default browser & ask if I want them to be the default (which I don’t).

So, I’m still perplexed as to WHY PSE2 keeps bringing up Mozilla rather than Firefox. NOTE: If I double click on the main PSE2 HTML help file, Firefox DOES start – it is only when I bring up ‘help’ from WITHIN PSE2 that I have a problem.

Wayne

Perhaps you need to try the reset PSE2 trick.
WB
Wayne_B_Rells
Aug 25, 2004
Robert,

I suspect that uninstalling Mozilla & PSE2 and then reinstalling PSE2 might work, but that seems to be quite a bit of work to fix a relatively small problem. I’m still hoping that there is some setting in PSE2 and/or the registry that will allow me to just change the browser that is being used for the ‘help’ command.

Wayne
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 25, 2004
To make matters more insulting , when I made Firefox my default browser, it became the Elements default also. No muss, no fuss. Let’s not credit Windows with a perfect system, by any means <G> .

🙂

Brent
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 25, 2004
Wayne,

What I was saying originally is that you can probably just uninstall Mozilla and reboot and it should work fine. PSE should then use your default browser after you reboot.

If that doesn’t work then you can always reinstall Mozilla again. The entire process only takes a few minutes and shouldn’t be anything very complicated.

That’s what I’d try, and given that these are computers there are no guarantees but the risk should be minimal from my experience. Anyhow, it’s certainly up to you to try it or not.

Robert
WB
Wayne_B_Rells
Aug 25, 2004
Robert,

I think your suggestion will work! Instead of removing Mozilla immediately, I just renamed "…\Program files\mozilla.org" to "…\Program files\xmozilla.org" so PSE2 cannot (presumably) find & launch mozilla.exe. Now, if I hit F1 in PSE2, Firefox DOES start up and display the ‘help’ file. Strangely, if I select ‘Help’ from the menu, nothing seems to happen. HOWEVER, if I click on ‘Help’ a SECOND TIME, Firefox starts up!

I’ll leave things as they are now for a few days to make sure nothing else "breaks" when mozilla is "hidden" in this way. If all is well, I’ll delete mozilla entirely.

Thanks very much for your help,

Wayne
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 26, 2004
Wayne,

Looks like you’re getting pretty good at using computers 😉 Good news, indeed. I was sure there wouldn’t be a problem.

To deinstall Mozilla please:

1) rename the Mozilla folder back to its original name
2) uninstall it using Start / Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs, click on Remove
3) delete the Program files \ Mozilla folder

Then reboot your system and you should be fine.

God bless,
Robert
WB
Wayne_B_Rells
Aug 26, 2004
Robert,

Well, I decided to "bite the bullet" and delete Mozilla! Everything seems to work fine EXCEPT – as mentioned above – I have to click on the PSE2 ‘Help’ menu item TWICE in order for Firefox to start up & display the main help file. On the other hand, hitting F1 (just once!) will bring up Firefox immediately. Go figure…

Thanks again,

Wayne
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 26, 2004
Wayne,

That’s probably a Firefox compatibility issue, not a PSE issue per se. Nowadays Internet Explorer is the de facto standard, so much so that many websites and companies only test against IE and not other browsers. It’s now up to the other browsers to make themselves as compatible to IE as possible and none get it 100% perfect.

Microsoft also makes its own site hostile to other browsers. For instance, if you use Firefox to go to microsoft.com and click on Windows Updates, you don’t get the Windows update window that checks your system for updates like you do with their browser. Instead, you get an unfriendly re-direct window and get shuffled over to a manual download site where you have to figure out what to download then do all yourself by hand.

Robert

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections