DB
Posted By
Dan_Barba
Apr 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have upgraded from CS2 to CS3 with no problems. Everything works just fine. I’ve been a long time user. I’m on XP Pro. But when I try to use the Help in PS3 and Bridge, I get this:

Adobe Help Viewer 1.1
This topic is in the Help system of another product. To view the topic, install that product. about:blank

I’ve tried to to everything I can. Reinstalling, uninstalling, etc. I also go back to a mirror image of the drive before the CS3 installation. CS2 was also removed, etc. No luck.

Anybody out there who can help. I’m going nuts with this.

Thanks, Dan Barba

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PF
Patrick_Finch
Apr 19, 2007
I noticed on the CS3 download page that there is a second ‘extras’ file that is to be installed. This seems to be where the help files are now. Make sure you installed that extra file. If you installed from CD then I don’t know. Could also be a separate file on the CD.
DB
Dan_Barba
Apr 19, 2007
Hi Patrick,
Actually, yes, I installed that extra file called "PHSPCS3_Cont_WWE.exe" and it gives you some goodies, a pdf file with all the help files, but still no Help is available in CS3 after installing.

Is this the file you’re referring to?

Thanks, Dan
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 19, 2007
The extras file includes the PDF version of the manual, the scripting guides, and the "extras" folder. I think the help system is installed by the main PsCS3 download file, but it’s worth a try. In any event the PDF manual should have pretty much everything that’s in the help system.

Edit: You were faster than me!
DB
Dan_Barba
Apr 19, 2007
Hello,
Actually, I think that it does include pretty much everything, but it still would be nice to have the Help the regular way.
Anyway, what do you mean, You were faster than me? 🙂
Dan
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 19, 2007
I started composing my post before yours showed up. When I finished, your post was already there. You slipped in front of me, so I went in to edit my post so I wouldn’t look like I was trying to tell you what you had already said.
DB
Dan_Barba
Apr 19, 2007
Ah!
OK, any thoughts on that file I mention above?
Dan
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 19, 2007
That’s the "extras" file I was referring to. I installed it after installing and activating the main PsCS3 file, and I think the help system was working before I installed the extra stuff, but I don’t recall for sure.
DB
Dan_Barba
Apr 19, 2007
All right, no problem. I’ll see if I get any more suggestions. In my case, it still doesn’t work. Best regards anyway, Dan
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 19, 2007
Try re-running the downloaded main installer file, ADBEPHSPCS3_WWE.exe, and then doing a repair installation by running the setup file.
RO
Roman_Olmezov
Apr 20, 2007
Look like very simple system: Adobe Help Center 2.1 for CS2 products, Adobe Help Viewer 1.0 for Acrobat 8, Adobe Help Viewer 1.1 for Photoshop CS3… Think, i miss 1.2 for Illustrator CS3 ans 1.3 for InDesign CS3. Or another usefull "helpview" program?
MP
Michael_Pott
Apr 24, 2007
I have the same problem accessing the help files in the beta version. Has anybody been able to get a response from the gurus at the the Adone help line??
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Apr 24, 2007
Michael,

There’s no help in the public Beta (wasn’t written at the time).

As for the help in the final version, I get the same error as the OP… But at least there’s a PDF help file on the CD.
MP
Michael_Pott
Apr 25, 2007
Mathias,

Thanks. Good thing I kept CS2; at least that one’s working.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Apr 25, 2007
The help files should be located at C:\Programs\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US (or equivalent depending on your language of OS and PS).

I think my conflict stems from the fact that I’m using a US english version of PS on a danish WinXP.
MP
Michael_Pott
Apr 25, 2007
Mathias:

Anything is possible however that wouldn’t make much sense to me. The problem was also present in CS2 and Adobe has issued a tech note on that subject; see <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331717.html>.

I would expect to see a tech note for CS3 as well in the not too distant future.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections