correcting exposure in Photoshop/Bridge

Posted By
Mar 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to know the best way to correct the exposure of images (under, over-exposed) in Bridge so that I can use them effectively to create a panorama. Is there a way apart from visual cue to understand how each image’ exposure be made identical using digits (figures).

I corrected all of them using the auto feature in Bridge, but would like to know another efficient way to do that. A tutorial would help.

Thank you
uxk

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DR
Donald_Reese
Mar 3, 2009
Shoot on manual exposure to get your exposures to match.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 3, 2009
Assuming that you have CS4 or even CS3, what you would need to do is to open the images In Adobe Camera Raw (hosted by Bridge) and to make your corrections there.

That is providing that your files are either in RAW, TIF or JPG format.
R
Ram
Mar 3, 2009
Bridge does NOT edit images; it does NOT "adjust exposure".

Bridge is not an image editor, it’s just an image browser that hands the image files to the appropriate application, be it Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw, Illustrator, even MS Word or whatever. Bridge does not open files, it doesn’t save files, it doesn’t "edit" them either, and it doesn’t "write" them to anything. The only thing Bridge allows you to do to a file is edit (some of) its metadata, not the image itself.

Also, try the appropriate forum. This is NOT a Photoshop issue.

Adobe Bridge Macintosh forum [CLICK HERE] <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bba3d51>

Adobe Camera Raw Forum [CLICK HERE] <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.3bb6a869>
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 3, 2009
Camera RAW is embedded into Bridge. Which does allow you to alter (non destructively) the perceived exposure of RAW files.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 3, 2009
ACR not exactly "embedded" in Bridge — but you can open files in ACR from Bridge just as you can also open files in ACR through Photoshop.

I recommend that you should do all of the corrections that you possibly can non-destructively in ACR (including Capture Sharpening and Local Corrections) before doing the final work in Photoshop.
B
Buko
Mar 3, 2009
Camera RAW is embedded into Bridge. Which does allow you to alter (non destructively) the perceived exposure of RAW files.

Not sure if you have noticed but if you open a RAW file from Bridge and Photoshop is not running, Photoshop must be launched before you can use ACR. So ACR is not part of Bridge.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 3, 2009
Buko,

The Bridge process can host Camera Raw, and Photoshop does not have to be running. Camera Raw is a plug-in that can be hosted by a few Adobe products.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Mar 3, 2009
UXK,

Did you use the Stacks> Auto-Stack Panorama/HDR menu?
R
Ram
Mar 4, 2009

[#4] Camera RAW is embedded into Bridge. Which does allow you to alter
(non destructively) the perceived exposure of RAW files.

Absolutely incorrect. Camera Raw can be hosted by either Photoshop or Bridge, but is NOT "embedded" in either application.

The ACR plug-in is installed at the ROOT Library.

Mark must be thinking of Lightroom, which has the same engine that ACR uses embedded in its entrails.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 4, 2009
… Oh yeah that’s what I was thinking of – I think. Surely any user of Bridge is going to use RAW, wherever it happens to reside – to see and adjust exposure previews anyway.

Which brings us back eventually to the original question which absolutely no-one has bothered to answer – "I corrected all of them using the auto feature in Bridge, but would like to know another efficient way to do that" probably auto in RAW is as good a way as any to correct for a panorama, its applying the same default based on existing highlight/shadow and midpoint values. If you find that exposure is wrong when you do this, then it may be best to manually adjust exposure to visually make them match. The stitch behaviour is so good now that slight exposure differences should be OK.
R
Ram
Mar 4, 2009
"I corrected all of them using the auto feature in Bridge…"

Again, not in Bridge, in ACR. Read #3 again.

But you have to learn to use ACR first. The "Auto" tone adjustment is only a starting point, it’s very seldom the final result you want.

If you’re shooting raw, first get THE BOOK < http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Camera-Adobe-Photoshop/dp/0 321580133/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=123617 3900&sr=8-1> on Camera Raw, learn how to use ACR, and then start building panoramas.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 5, 2009
The "Auto" tone adjustment is only a starting point, it’s very seldom the final result you want.

It should be understood that "auto" correction/default features are often good for putting you in the ballpark, particularly with a long photo session shot under the same lighting and exposure conditions. Beyond that you have to use your eyes, common sense, and your experience to fine tune individual images.

Neil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections