DS
Posted By
David_Stiller
Aug 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone weigh in? I was browsing in Barnes and Noble today and saw "Photoshop Color Correction," by Michael Kieran. At first glance, this book looks both exhaustive and immensely helpful, covering correction techniques in a variety of colorspaces, including *when* to use what colorspace to the greatest advantage. I was a bit put off by the $50 price tag, but the same book is available for $30-something at Amazon.

While online, I also saw "Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction," by Dan Margulis. Both of these books appear to be several notches up from a "For Dummies"-type reference.

Can I get a few real-world appraisals of either book? Or any others?

David
stiller ( at ) quip ( dot ) net

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobLevine
Aug 23, 2004
Both of those authors know their stuff, but, IIRC, they go about it in a different way. I attended a couple of Michael Keiran seminars about the time that PS 5.0 was released and was very impressed with his knowlege.

Bob
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 23, 2004
I have not read his book, but I know for a fact that the Dan Margulis book is VERY print (press printing) oriented. AFAIK, the kieran one is maybe more geared towards photographers.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 23, 2004
I would recommend "Real World Photoshop".
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 23, 2004
OH yes, RWCS… Is RWCR (camera raw)as good?
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 23, 2004
I don’t know – I haven’t had time to read it yet….
SB
Stu_Bloom
Aug 23, 2004
Kieran’s book is excellent, with two caveats.

1 – There are a lot of silly errors. The book badly, badly needed a technical editor, not because Kieran doesn’t know his stuff (he clearly does) but because there are (many) places where the text contradicts itself within a span of two or three paragraphs.

2 – The book is slanted toward CMYK. There is a fair amount of RGB stuff, but for some techniques, RGB gets a once-over-lightly treatment and CMYK a detailed explanation.
GH
Gary_Hummell
Aug 24, 2004
Dan Margulie’s book is an intermediate to advanced book for sure. He does spend a fare amount of effort refining color correction skills for CMYK, but he certainly shows the value of learning the unique characteristics of color correction in LAB and RGB. He packs a lot of information into a modestly sized book. It is one of my standard references. I haven’t read Kieran’s book so I can’t offer a comparison.

Gary
DS
David_Stiller
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks for the input, folks! I do appreciate it. Even with Amazon’s customer review area, it’s always nice to hear opinions from people you know are associated with the discipline in question.

David
DS
David_Stiller
Aug 26, 2004
Stu,

Do you know if there’s an errata list somewhere? O’Reilly is usually good about such corrections, but I checked Peachpit’s website for this book and didn’t see anything. You’re not the only one to mention the unfortunately poor editing … I was hoping that if enough people commented, Peachpit would have provided something.

David

wrote in message
Kieran’s book is excellent, with two caveats.

1 – There are a lot of silly errors. The book badly, badly needed a
technical editor, not because Kieran doesn’t know his stuff (he clearly does) but because there are (many) places where the text contradicts itself within a span of two or three paragraphs.
2 – The book is slanted toward CMYK. There is a fair amount of RGB stuff,
but for some techniques, RGB gets a once-over-lightly treatment and CMYK a detailed explanation.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections