MB
Posted By
Mike_Boreham
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Could someone point me at a link or give basic instructions for applying a gradient to correct the exposure on a photo, caused for example by flash fall-off with distance.

Thanks

Mike

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DK
Doug_Katz
Sep 19, 2006
Probably won’t get all the way to a complete correction with a gradient, but there are several ways to get in the ballpark.

1. Add a new layer above the problematic image. Draw your gradient (probably a radial gradient in the example you give). It can use default colors. Adjust blend mode to soft light, overlay, or other to taste. Adjust opacity to taste.

2. Add a mask to the problematic image. Add a layer filled with white or black, depending on exact problem, below the image layer. Draw out your gradient on the mask.

3. Add a gradient overlay style to the problematic image. Adjust its color stops, transparency, blend mode, and opacity in the layer styles dialog.
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 19, 2006
Add an adjustment layer (curves or whatever works) to the image. Paint it the layer mask
MB
Mike_Boreham
Sep 20, 2006
Thanks Doug and Nomad,

What I currently do is closer to what Nomad suggests, or make selections with big feathering.

I’ll have a go at Doug’s way when I get back to base.

Mike
DR
Donald_Reese
Sep 20, 2006
I dont even bother with selections half the time,and just use soft large brushes to paint away the unneeded layer change.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections