B
Posted By
bob733
Jun 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There has been a lot said (typed) on explaining PPI (DPI), print sizes, image deminsions, etc.

But, is there a quick and very easy to understand (good use of examples) PPI for Dummies (like me) that just have a tough time in this area.

I know to some, it may not be difficult, but to others (me for example), I still get confused on what a picture print will look like when I have multiple inputs (ie., from cameras with small and larger sizes (nnnn x nnnn and different resolutions etc), from the web with small sizes, etc.

I need to be able to say (for example):
"Ok, I have these (for example) 3 pictures. One is 72dpi, one is 180 dpi one is nnnn x nnnn in the size etc. Now, how do I incorporate these pictures in to a montage and print at say 8 1/2 x 11. Or, is it going to look bad and I need to print smaller (and at what dpi)."

I know this sounds so general of a question, but I bet the pros size up the various inputs they get, and determine the maximum sizes they can produce effectivily (and with highest possible quality) with PS (I have CS3)base on thoses inputs.

If this is too dumb of a question, I am sorry, but this one has always thrown me for a loop.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Jun 7, 2007
Best one I know of, and worth a bookmark:

<http://www.scantips.com>

When I first discovered it years ago, it made everything crystal clear.

Highly recommended by many as one of the best references of its kind.
JO
Jim_Oblak
Jun 7, 2007
Now, how do I incorporate these pictures in to a montage and print at say 8 1/2 x 11.

As a simple way to visualize, create a new document at 8.5 x 11 and at the proper resolution for your output.

Now paste in all your images. The images will paste in at the largest size they should appear at your expected output resolution.
B
bob733
Jun 7, 2007
thanks everyone…. great help

Bob
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Jun 8, 2007
Once you have mastered the technical concepts of resolution and colour management you have passed a huge learning barrier.

Everything beyond that point just requires talent!
B
Bernie
Jun 8, 2007
Resolution is easy, colour management is the real challenge.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections