Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel: Bridge doesn’t work! Why?

K
Posted By
KiwiC
May 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a Canon EOS 400D (Digital Rebel) and when I plug it in via USB I can browse the (jpg) photos on the card, in the camera, as thumbnails using Windoze Explorer and preview them using "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" (the standard built-in previewer) and yet the Mighty Bridge gives me nothing except a default thumbnail image and no metadata. Under "file properties" it reports as document type "binary document" even though it shows a .jpg suffix.

I thought this was supposed to be a key function of Bridge – what’s the story?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WE
Wolf_Eilers
May 21, 2007
Why would you want Bridge to view the contents of the CF card while the camera is connected to the computer?

Remove the the CF card from the camera, stick it into an inexpensive card reader, download the CF contents to disk, and then point Bridge to the disk contents. (Or fire up Bridge CS3 to start the Adobe Downloader dialog.)
K
KiwiC
May 21, 2007
Thank you for your kind thoughts and consideration in drawing my attention to the obvious. Sure there are many workarounds but the convenience of simply plugging in the usb port and previewing a studio shot in Bridge, while I set up a shot, is what I want. And I could get it with a Nikon Coolpix I own, so why not the Canon? (The cardport on my laptop doubles as a PCMCIA slot and is occupied, and having to buy additional "inexpensive card readers" is not the kind of utility I am expecting from Bridge.)
C
chrisjbirchall
May 21, 2007
Wolf gave you the correct and proper answer, and there was no need for your curt reply.

Bridge is not just a simple image viewer. It creates Thumbnails and Previews of each file and can plant a file (Bridgesort) in the directory containing the images. You camera was clearly not designed to have files written to it from an outside source.

For previewing the images in your studio, why not use the proper software and shoot in tethered mode? Having the images appear almost instantly on screen is great for making those fine-tuning adjustments to a still life or product shot.

I use the FujiFilm Hyper Utility, but I’m sure Canon provide something similar.
S
Silkrooster
May 21, 2007
With the software that comes with the camera there should be a program called remote capture. I know it comes with the Canon G3, as far as I know nothing has changed.
K
KiwiC
May 21, 2007
Wolf, I apologise for the curt reply. I was putting my day’s frustrations onto you – got me at a bad time. Of course you are correct and I don’t deny it. My original question was simply "Why?". It works for other cameras why not the Canon?

Thank you Chris for supplying an answer but it is one I still don’t fully understand as I can easily read and write any files to the Canon card whilst connected with USB through Windows Explorer, it just treats it as another drive. So what is the difference with Bridge? It should have no problem writing bridgesort to the card.

I am aware of all the other solutions, it is just that I want to do it a particular way, and why not? I expect it should be supported and it isn’t. I am not as happy with the Canon software as I would be with Bridge. If it worked. Apparently it doesn’t. I thought perhaps somebody would know why it is – as this is probably one of the most popular "prosumer" models. Or if I am missing a driver or something.
WE
Wolf_Eilers
May 21, 2007
KiwiC, no need to apologize (I took no offence, but thanks all the same — and to Chris).

I’m still not clear if you want to tether your camera to the computer and have Bridge view the images immediately after taking a shot, or do you simply want the view the CF card contents after taking a series of shots?

Since I’m guessing you hail from the lovely isles of new Zealand I cannot guess what software comes bundled with the Rebel, but ensure you have the latest version of Digital Photo Professional (DPP) and the EOS utility installed. You can then use the Remote shooting option of EOS utility to automatically download images to your computer and if Bridge is open to this download directory, they will also show in Bridge (or DPP).

However, I have never (ever) connected my 20D or Rebel to the computer and have Bridge directly view the contents of the CF card (while still in the camera). Therefore, I cannot comment whether it should or should not work.

(Also, put a multi-card reader on your birthday wish list. Indispensable.)
K
KiwiC
May 21, 2007
Thanks Wolf. Sometimes it is it is very convenient for me just to check shots by plugging into the camera usb port while it is set up, without necessarily doing a download.

Using remote shooting is cumbersome, I like the camera’s onboard controls.

I now understand there are probably not many people who would do it this way. Removing the card is the next best thing, but just plugging in a cable is marginally more straightforward, esp when my card slot is busy. I know there are other ways of achieving the same thing but there it is.

I just want to know why it can’t be done when it is no problem with other cameras.
DM
dave_milbut
May 22, 2007
kiwi, you might need to end and restart bridge in order to view the contents of a remote drive (or camera) after it’s been plugged in. preferably end bridge, then plug in the camera and wait for it to fully connect to the os and then start up bridge and see if that works for you as you expect…

it might well not, but it’s worth a shot.
dave
K
KiwiC
May 22, 2007
Thanks Dave. It’s not that I can’t see the contents of the drive, it’s just that jpegs come up as thumbnail icons only.
FL
fergus_lonergan
Jun 22, 2007
400d has stopped connecting to pc, checked cable and fine,checked pc and fine. I feel it is Camera. Can anyone help?
MA
Mark_Allen
Jun 22, 2007
Wolf gave you the correct and proper answer

Remove the the CF card from the camera

Chris, it could be argued that Wolf actually didn’t give the correct answer. I know we all work differently but I wouldn’t dream of ever removing a card from the camera. Better to loose an inexpensive USB lead than a more expensive card and even risk bending the pins inside an even more expensive camera.

Canon’s USB downloading system leaves a lot to be desired but I know what KiwiC was getting at. He should download the card contents then open Bridge to view or as also has been suggested, the remote way.

KiwiC, have you the latest Camera Raw download from Adobe? this may be your problem.
MA
Mark_Allen
Jun 22, 2007
400d has stopped connecting to pc, checked cable and fine,checked pc and fine. I feel it is Camera. Can anyone help?

Fergus, can you give any more details about your problem and have you checked if your battery needs charged?
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jun 22, 2007
I know we all work differently but I wouldn’t dream of ever removing a card from the camera.

Very short field shoots then?

For tethered shooting I use Breeze’s DSLR Remote Pro. I can control the camera with it, and it gives a very clear big image on screen definately suited for inspecting focus etc.

I can select to have blinking blown highlights indication. It’s even possible to automatically blank the screen(s) during exposure, for critical light conditions.

Rob
MA
Mark_Allen
Jun 23, 2007
Very short field shoots then?

Not really, Rob. It’s usually weddings with about 400 images. We charge the battery, start downloading and go for tea. It’s done when we come back 😀
QP
Q_Photo
Jun 23, 2007
"I know we all work differently but I wouldn’t dream of ever removing a card from the camera".

I believe that is the intended use of a memory card. As a general rule, it is highly recommended to transfer files by removing memory card from camera and placing into proper card slot on computer. This is much safer that by directly attaching camera via USB cable. Nine out of ten photographers recommended…

Q
QP
Q_Photo
Jun 23, 2007
I do school photos with/for a local studio. The owner is a good guy to work for. He is adamant that I change cards during a session. His reasoning is that if we loose shots from a particular card we will need to come back and photograph about a hundred students. If ALL shots are on ONE card that would become about 400 students.

Translation; loose 100 shots he is angry at the card. Loose 400 shots he is angry at ME.

Q
BD
Brett Dalton
Jun 25, 2007
As to the origional problem, you’ll prob find that Cannon loads a plugin for explorer so it can read the raw data. If your just talking about JPG’s it may not cache the card as it’s a lot of reading over a slow connection (more often than not the camera is a slower connection than a card reader).

BTW GET A CARD READER. I don’t know a professional photographer who permanatly leaves their cards in. As far as bending pins, you’d have to break your camera body first as there are alignment slots on both sides of CF cards and SD cards don’t use pins. occasionally blow out the Card slot to prevent dirt and keep cards in cases to prevent them getting crappy but other wise there is no problems.

Rotating cards is also a good way to keep track of shoots and backing up. I try to shoot on one card and not use it again until the pics are processed meaning even if my system crashes i still have the card ( I also have two seperate copies, an archive and a working on different drives). Cards are cheep these days, stupidly so, 2 Gig high speed recently cost me less than $100 AU.

BRETT

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections