How to import RAW files from Canon Digital Rebel to Mac.

E
Posted By
embarc
Feb 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a Canon Digital Rebel and want to import RAW photo files. Up til now I have been importing through iPhoto. I¹d rather not spend $79 for iPhoto 5, which handles RAW files.

Is there another way to import the camera files? I¹m using OS 10.3.7.

Thanks!

Ed in Dallas

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JN
Jim Nagy
Feb 11, 2005
In article <BE2E82A8.14EF0%>, Edward M. Baum
wrote:

I have a Canon Digital Rebel and want to import RAW photo files. Up til now I have been importing through iPhoto. I¹d rather not spend $79 for iPhoto 5, which handles RAW files.

Is there another way to import the camera files? I¹m using OS 10.3.7.
Thanks!

Ed in Dallas
Graphic Converter and Photoshop both handle my 10D files nicely.

Jim Nagy
Elm Electronics
R
RSD99
Feb 11, 2005
IrfanView implements the Canon RAW converter as a plugin. Irfan Skiljan uses the Canon DLL files, so it should work as well as the Canon converter …. but *maybe* not as well as Capture One or Adobe’s RAW converter plugin.

www.rfanview.com

[PS – It’s FREE … but do not forget to go to the Plugins page and download the extras.]

WHOOPS – I just noticed that you are one of the 2% that are using a Macintosh … sorry ’bout that. Irfanview is PC only, so disregard the above!

Maybe you could use the Adobe RAW plugin for PhotoShop CS.

"Edward M. Baum" wrote in message
I have a Canon Digital Rebel and want to import RAW photo files. Up til
now
I have been importing through iPhoto. I
C
ctrl
Feb 11, 2005
WHOOPS – I just noticed that you are one of the 2% that are using a Macintosh … sorry ’bout that. Irfanview is PC only, so disregard
the
above!

Not many people drive a Rolls royce either.

Back to the question. Users of Canon 10D – does the Desktop and Photoshop show your camera when hooked up? I also use the Digital Rebel which is recognised, as you say. by iPhoto, but doesn’t list on the Desktop or in Photoshop
R
Rick
Feb 11, 2005
"RSD99"

| www.rfanview.com
|
| [PS – It’s FREE … but do not forget to go to the Plugins page and | download the extras.]
|
| WHOOPS – I just noticed that you are one of the 2% that are using a | Macintosh … sorry ’bout that. Irfanview is PC only, so disregard the | above!
|

We have multiple flavors of both platforms and find that for real/heavy GA work the Macs are the preferred by a very large margin. YMMV
JN
Jim Nagy
Feb 12, 2005
In article ,
ctrl wrote:

Back to the question. Users of Canon 10D – does the Desktop and Photoshop show your camera when hooked up? I also use the Digital Rebel which is recognised, as you say. by iPhoto, but doesn’t list on the Desktop or in Photoshop
I don’t use the USB connection. I’ve got a Sandisk firewire CF card reader which is very fast for transferring the files. I plug it in, go into the DCIM file and drag the xxxCANON files over to the Mac. You can move about 500MB in 2-3 minutes this way. When the transfer is complete, drag the card to the trash to unmount. Once the files are on the HD, you can use whatever program to manipulate them (even open them in iPhoto).
FWIW, I don’t delete the files from the CF card with the Mac, although I suppose you could. I always put the card back into the 10D, and choose format from the menu.
Hope that’s helped,

Jim Nagy
Elm Electronics
J
Jesse
Feb 12, 2005
On 2005-02-08 12:52:26 -0800, "Edward M. Baum" said:

My Canon G5 came with software… and if it does not recognize the image files from the card reader, then you may have to use the USB cable.

What about using (OS X’s) Image Capture?

ºJº
ˇ
jessecoleman.com
remove "-spamtrap-" to reply

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections