Posted By
Tel
Aug 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Oops.
Wrote to Sunpak to check on their opinion regarding use of the Auto 130 on a Canon 300D. "Don’t, no way, no how" was more or less their reaction. "It will destroy your camera" they said.
Thought I’d better update you people.

It hasn’t destroyed my camera but I have stopped using it. I’d really like to know why it could destroy the camera, though, as surely the camera triggers the flash and not the other way around. The Auto 130 itself has a sensor which shuts off the flash when the exposure has been reached so how can it harm the camera?

Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the flashgun? It should be possible to make a small alteration to prevent possible damage.

Tel.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RH
ronald_hands
Aug 9, 2004
The danger, I believe, is that an older flash may put several hundred volts across the flash contacts in the camera. They’re probably designed to handle six volts, so the danger is that not only will the contacts be burned but other circuitry may also be fried.

I think there are devices readily available which will isolate your camera from the high-voltage danger and still allow you to use the old flashgun, if you really are determined to keep it in service. You might want to take a look around at www.bhphotovideo.com. I seem to remember that Wein makes such equipment.

— Ron
DB
danny burstein
Aug 9, 2004
In writes:

Oops.
Wrote to Sunpak to check on their opinion regarding use of the Auto 130 on a Canon 300D. "Don’t, no way, no how" was more or less their reaction. "It will destroy your camera" they said.
Thought I’d better update you people.

It hasn’t destroyed my camera but I have stopped using it. I’d really like to know why it could destroy the camera, though, as surely the camera triggers the flash and not the other way around. The Auto 130 itself has a sensor which shuts off the flash when the exposure has been reached so how can it harm the camera?

there’s a known problem with the high voltages that the "pc cord" (or hotshoe) from the electronic flash zaps through the camera. While these weren’t an issue with traditional mechanical cameras, it’s a frequent problem with the digital electronic ones.

This is particularly irksome because some brandmanes and models of flashes have kept the same labelling for decades, but some, made at one factory are evil while others are ok. (There’s the related issue of when they were built and which country).

There are lots of threads about this in the various photography newsgroups. Go a’googling (or a’dejaing) using the term "sync voltage"

[to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 10, 2004
I have been researching this topic for some period of time now, and have found this informative link:
<http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>
I own an Achiever 260AF, and if this information is reliable, I should be able to use this flash with my Olympus c-750. However, if one peruses the Olympus site, one learns that they market a voltage regulated sync adapter for connecting camera to a "foreign" flash.
Sunpak does market a unit which triggers an older flash as a slave. If you go to www.adorama.com and type in digiadapt, you will see it. This unit is quite inexpensive.
Ken
DS
Dick_Smith
Aug 10, 2004
Interesting site, Ken.

I’ve been using the Sunpak 555 with my Fuji 6900z since I bought the camera and never paid any attention to all of this until this thread! Guess I’ve been incredibly lucky. But, it sure beats the built in flash.

Dick
T
Tel
Aug 14, 2004
Thanks for the tip, Ken, a slave is probably the easiest way to deal with it. My flashgun may be 30 years old but works perfectly so why buy a new one?
Tel.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 14, 2004
Tel,
Did you come across the Sunpak Digiadapt unit? I cannot find it in any local camera stores, but Adorama sells it. See my link in the earlier post.
Ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections