EW
Posted By
Edward_Wilson
Aug 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Although I’ve used Photoshop Elements 2 and PS Elements before it, I’ve never figured out how to fit a print to a frame. For instance, I have a picture I’d like to put in a 3 X 5" frame. I can resize it but obviously it doesn’t come out exactly the right size. Can anyone steer me in the right direction in order to fit the frame? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PC
Pat_Coggin
Aug 4, 2004
Edward, what size is the original picture? For example a 4 X 6 picture will resize down to approximately 3.3 x 5, keeping it in proportion. You may have to do some cropping.
EW
Edward_Wilson
Aug 5, 2004
Hi Pat,
Thanks for the reply. I have no propblem resizing, cropping, etc. but run into difficulties when trying to resize to fit a particular frame. I can resize to fit but there will always be edges/borders of unequal size. I’m looking for a procedure that will allow a print to go into a frame with equal edges/borders all around. I think it might have to do with the "Resize Canvas" command and then "Resize Image" but not sure. This applies to any size frame/print but i this case I have a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2" frame. If I downsize the print to fit the frame, I’ll end up with the white borders on 2 sides. If I enlarge to the point of losing the edges, I lose part of the subject. … ? … Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 5, 2004
Ed, I think what’s happening is that the picture you’re trying to get to fit into the frame doesn’t have the right aspect ratio. That’s not uncommon; most of us have digital cameras that produce images that can’t be "fit" into one of the standard photo sizes without some judicious cropping. With the dimensions you’ve given, it sounds like you may have to either sacrifice some of that picture through cropping or reduce it in size so you can get a border on all sides. The only other way to force it to fit would cause a distortion.

If you’ll post some specific dimensions of the photo itself (including resolution) along with the dimensions of the frame, somebody can probably come up with an idea for you.
EW
Edward_Wilson
Aug 5, 2004
Ni Beth,

Thanks for the reply. I’m using a Sony DSC-F717 which I’ve had for a couple of years. The data on this particular shot, as taken, is as follows:

As shot, 1280 X 960 pixels, W=17.778" X H = 13.333. Unfortunately, the subject of the shot takes up the entire print so that any cropping will detract from the image. There’s no problem in resizing it but, in order to keep the proper aspect, which of course is necessary, there’ll be uneven white borders. Seems to me I remember something about resizing Canvas size; then making the Image size smaller but can’t seem to remember the details. And naturally, trying to find it in any of the three PSE2 manuals I have is escaping me. 🙂
Thanks for your reply.

…. ed …
ML
Mark_Levesque
Aug 6, 2004
One thing I’ve done to "fix" the aspect ratio is to change the canvas size to the print size and then clone in background to fill in the whitespace on the sides. You may also have luck compositing something from another photo into the background.
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 6, 2004
Ed, you might want to try following Mark’s suggestion and use some fill to adjust the aspect ratio if cropping is out of the question. You can resize the canvas through Image>Resize>Canvas Size and get extra space. However, the aspect ratio problem will follow you, because your picture has one aspect ratio and the frame another. There really isn’t a way to get even white borders without changing one or the other. How about a different frame?! Your image will make a perfect 3 X 4 at 320ppi!
EW
Edward_Wilson
Aug 6, 2004
Mark & Beth,

Thanks for the further thoughts. We’ll figure this out one way or the other. 🙂 If not even edges, at least even on opposing sides.

…. ed …
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 6, 2004
Ah ha! If you’re willing to accept even on opposing sides…

Open the image you want to print and check the size through Image>Resize>Image Size to make sure it has the exact dimensions you want. If not, adjust it, click OK, and leave it open on your desktop.

Now go to Image>Resize>Canvas Size and increase the width of the canvas to whatever you want as your finished size. Let’s assume you want a finished pic that’s 5 inches wide and 3 inches high but that your image is only 4 X 3. Increase the width of the canvas to ‘5’. You’ll also see a place on that canvas resize screen where you can set the anchor point. Choose to have the image centered. Your image should now be centered evenly on a slightly larger canvas.

Is this what you wanted to know in your original post?! If so, I apologize for being so dense. 🙂
EW
Edward_Wilson
Aug 6, 2004
OK Beth! I believe that’s what I did a year or so ago but couldn’t for the life of me replicate it. You’ve nailed it! And it wasn’t denseness on your part, but rather my inability to articulate what I was trying to do. 🙂

Thanks again,

…. ed …
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 6, 2004
Well I’m just glad we finally got you past this little dilemma! Happy printing!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections