Automatically Size Text to Fit a Defined Area?

BG
Posted By
Brian_G_Dennis
Dec 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Am trying photoshop for the first time with cs2 (long time paint shop pro user), I’m VERY impressed. I wonder if there is a way to put vector text into a box, and have it take on the size of the box that it’s put into. This is kind of like the envelope feature in Corel Draw (yeah, I know, Illustrator is next on my list of things to try). With the envelope feature, I could type some text (at any point size) and then "copy envelope from" any shape that I had created as an envelope. The text would then automatically shape and size the text to the shape and size of the envelope image.

Does this make sense? I sure hope so! Any help anyone could impart would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
John Joslin
Dec 24, 2006
Just draw a text box with the Text Tool before you type.
BG
Brian_G_Dennis
Dec 24, 2006
Yeah, that’s more for paragraph text. If I type the word "TIGER" after drawing the text box, it puts the word tiger IN the box, with the font size that was selected. What I’m looking for, is to have the word "TIGER" resize to the size of the box. If I would have entered the word "ONE", I would want the word to be the same size as if I had entered "tiger", the same size as the box.
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 24, 2006
Unless there’s a plugin out there, you can’t do what you want to do in Photoshop. You might try playing around with the text warp feature. There might be enough there to make you happy.

Bob
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Dec 26, 2006
If you’re trying to fit the text to a rectangle, you could select the rectangle, and make a note of the dimensions, then deselect. Then, Free Transform the type, and put the dimensions of the box in the W and H fields in the Option Bar. Be sure you use the same units as the ruler, not percent. You can right-click on these fields to change the units.Then click on the check mark.

One thing about this is, if the text is still editable, the ascenders and descenders won’t fill the full height of the box. However, if you’ve rastreriszed the type, or converted it to a Shape, they will fill the height.
BG
Brian_G_Dennis
Dec 26, 2006
I DO want to be able to fit the text to a rectangle, but I’d also like to position the text over the same rectangle (or saved selection,or whatever).

In corel draw, I would "copy envelope" from the invisible rectangle (which was already sitting in the exact location that I need the final text), apply it to the text, and then align the text to the pefectly positioned rectangle. It worked perfectly each time. It always fit the text perfectly into the space it was going into, whether the word was 3 characters long, or 12.

That’s what I’m trying to reproduce with photoshop. I’m figuring that I’ll probably need to rasterize to do it (didn’t have to with corel). But if I don’t, and can retain editability, all the better!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections