NC
Posted By
Nick_Capolarello
Jan 13, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone, i am having a serious issue. Each time i work on a picture in Photoshop CS3 i receive a warning that the edit i am trying to do can’t work because my start up disk is full. this only happened when i was using the transform tool. of course my start up disk is not full. My harddrive on my macbook pro still has 54 gigs of free space. all my media is stored on an external drive. i have not had any problems with this before. it just started this past weekend. Would anybody have any advice or had similiar problems. Could this be related to my external hard drive. its the new Seagate external desktop hard drive for the mac 1tb. on a side note its crappy harddrive.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 13, 2009
Well I have an external Seagate extreme connect vi firewire 800 and it seems to work fine quite and fast. I doubt that it is the drive. Did you purchase the drive from Newegg by any chance?

Anyway you have your scratch disk pointing to your start up disk and that may simply not be enough for your photoshop t utilize as virtual memory for this particular function.

You can add your external drive as your secondary scratch and see if that gives you the resources.

I suspect you have one or two GB of RAM and it would be helpful if you had more.

That is the problem with the current Mac Books not enough RAM good thing they have added it to the MacBookPro 17inch now you can install 8 GB which will give you a chance to wrk as you should and the RAM is running I think at 800Mhz unfortunately the Windows versions of these run up to 16 GB of memory and at 1033MHz. Those some of those I am told are unstable and others are amazingly stable.

You might want to get an external drive that can be taken with you like the LacCie Rocket 320 GB that has a rotational speed of 7200rpm and connects by firewire 800 and use that as your scratch disk. You can use it as storage as well but keep 100GB free for the scratch.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 13, 2009
See the FAQ. The message is correct – you’re trying to resample something HUGE when you crop.
NC
Nick_Capolarello
Jan 13, 2009
Thanks guys for your quick responses. I actually have 4 gb of ram. i do have a portable hard drive conencted via FW 800 its a G-tech 250Gb 7200rmp and the Seagate 1tb 7,200rpm connected via FW 400. if a scratch disk mean a hard drive that all media is stored then yes my pictures,music,video,cache files are all on my external drives. why would a simple resampling of a layer that is part of a picture totaling 20mb take up an entire disk. something is not right. I still don’t have any clue how to remedy the issue.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 13, 2009
Because you are telling it to resample UP to something huge, that would take up all the space on your drive.

Read the FAQ, check your settings, set another scratch disk (you might want to spend some time with the manual about that), etc.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 13, 2009
Nick,

if a scratch disk mean a hard drive that all media is stored

A scratch disk is a working disk for image processing, not for storing apps or files.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 13, 2009
Nick,

if a scratch disk mean a hard drive that all media is stored

A scratch disk is a working drive (ideally) used solely for image processing, not for storing apps or files. It provides temporary swap space for data that overflows from RAM.

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 14, 2009
You can successfully partition the Seagate drive so one of the partitions is say 250GB as the scratch. Connect that via Firewire 800 and then connect the G Tech to the Seagate. The mac Version of the Seagates drives come with two firewire 800 ports should be no problem to connect.

Apple Disk Utility I believe allows you to partition a disk even if you have data on it without loosing the data.

However if you chose and external drive as your scratch you will need it to be connected to your MacBook or photoshop won’t launch unless you also have the start up disk selected. Or you reset the preferences which will select the start up disk as your start up disk.

You should take Chris Cox’ advice and read about setting up a scratch disk.
NC
Nick_Capolarello
Jan 14, 2009
I will definitely crack the manual tonight. Thanks everyone for your help. I always concentrated on learning Photoshop tools to enhance pictures not the systems that run it. Again Thanks everyone.
L
Lundberg02
Jan 15, 2009
If your startup disk is more than 60% full you’re going to start having problems anyway, Drives are cheap. I have 1.33 tB and i don’t even do anything serious.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections