P
Posted By
phaedracraig
Mar 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m getting a dialogue box that says, "Could not save (file name) because the disk is full". I am running PS 7 on my iMac, OS 9.1. I have a power PC G3 with 333 MHz speed and 256 MB virtual memory and also 256 MB built-in memory.

I’ve never had this problem before and have been using photoshop on this computer for years.

I’m working on a matte painting. The file size is 29.5 MB.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Mar 7, 2004
Could not save (file name) because the disk is full"

this means that you have no more hard disk space where you are trying to save the file. It has nothing to do with RAM.

solutions are:

save to a drive that has space

Buy a new drive so you have more space.

save old files to CD then erase them to make room for new ones.
P
phaedracraig
Mar 7, 2004
how can I save to a new drive? I don’t even know if I have another drive.

thanks,
SW
Scott_Weichert
Mar 7, 2004
phaedracraig ,

You do not have enough space. Back up and trash some files on your hard drive to clear up space. It’s as simple as that.

As Buko posted, the error is not related to RAM. It’s due to a small amount of hard drive space.

If you don’t know whether or not you have another drive, chances are you do not. iMacs only have one internal drive.

You’ll need to keep an eye on your hard drive usage. Lettign the drive get down to less than 29mb of free space is haphazard and could be slightly dangerous in terms of data protection adn usability. Click yoru hard drive once, then choose File > get info from teh menu. That will tell you how much free space the drive has remaining.
P
phaedracraig
Mar 7, 2004
I’ve thrown away files and that seems to do the trick. Now I have 191.4 MB available with capacity 6 GB. And I can save PS files again.

THANK YOU!
SW
Scott_Weichert
Mar 7, 2004
Just FYI… for a 6gb drive you may want to try and leave 300mb at least free at all times. It makes for a happier Mac. Sounds like you’ve hit the limits of yoru drive and you may want to start shopping for a larger drive than 6gb.
R
Ram
Mar 7, 2004
What Scott says. When a hard drive gets anywhere near 85% full, you need to get a new drive or back up and delete a bunch of files to make space.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections