Posted By
Bart_Kelsey
Dec 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

A problem I’ve encountered is that Photoshop CS3 cannot open an LZW TIF file generated in another program if it is above 2.1 GB (closed size). Any attempt to open with Photoshop results in the following message: "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

Is there a way to trick Photoshop into thinking that it is actually a Photoshop generated Tif? In other words, can it be converted to a Photoshop Tif without opening it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Bart

Intel MacBook Pro 2.33 Core Duo, 3 GB Ram/OS X 10.4.11

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Dec 29, 2008
First bit of info you left out:

What app (version and platform) generated the TIFF you’re struggling with?
BK
Bart_Kelsey
Dec 29, 2008
SuperFlip! 3D Genius Software 4.7
PC platform
Manufacturer confirmed 2.1 GB file size and above won’t open with Photoshop
KG
Kathy Guo
Dec 29, 2008
Bart

Some question hereL:
a. When you save the tiff file with this software in a small size, could PS open it or not?
b. Did the problem only happen with big size over 2.1G?
c. Did the problem happen if you didn’t save the tiff with LZW?
d. Any special things in this TIFF file?

Thanks
Kathy
BK
Bart_Kelsey
Dec 29, 2008
Kathy

a) Provided the unopened file size is below 2.1 GB Photoshop will open it.
b) Yes
c) Generated file is an LZW Tif -no other option
d) No

The file can be opened with Apple Preview, but attempts to ‘save as’ another file type or even .tiff fail.
B
Buko
Dec 29, 2008
How big is the opened file the Tif format has a 4GB limit. Above 4GB you need to use PSB
BK
Bart_Kelsey
Dec 29, 2008
The file size is 28,990 W x 43,200 H pixels RGB which would be 3.5 GB when open. It is 2.3 GB as a closed LZW Tif.

I know I can create such a file size in Photoshop, save as .tif and re-open, even with just 3 GB of Ram plus virtual memory. This is why I’m hoping that there is some kind of conversion program available to change the file to a Photoshop Tif -without having to open it first.
L
LarryGR
Dec 30, 2008
Can a copy and paste be done with a file this size?
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 30, 2008
You could try Graphic Converter. Not guaranteeing it will work I have only been successful using this program to convert files on three occasions and have failed on about fur or five occasions.

My feeling in this case is it will not do anything for you. So if there is no demo you would have to buy it to find out.
R
Ram
Dec 30, 2008
Larry,

Can a copy and paste be done with a file this size?

I don’t follow you here. How do you copy a file you can’t open? :/
R
Ram
Dec 30, 2008
Bart,

SuperFlip! 3D Genius Software 4.7 PC platform Manufacturer confirmed 2.1 GB file size and above won’t open with >Photoshop

Can you open the file in the original program that created it?

Can that program save in any other format, such as PSB?

Have you tried opening it in CS4 (trial version)?
BK
Bart_Kelsey
Dec 30, 2008
Wade,

I tried Graphic Converter. It cannot open tif files greater than 2 GB.

Ramon,

The original program doesn’t provide a feature to open the generated TIF file, regardless of size. It only generates an LZW TIF file.
No, I’ve not used CS4 at this time.
L
LarryGR
Dec 30, 2008
Ramon – The first sentence of his original post. And then in post #2 he names the program. I believe that it is freeware.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 30, 2008
Where would one download this software/
R
Ram
Dec 30, 2008
Larry,

Ramon – The first sentence of his original post. And then in post #2 he names the program. I believe that it is freeware.

I haven’t got the faintest idea what you are talking about —or why.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 30, 2008
Ramón

Larry missed your post about reopening the file in the original application, just a mistake.

Happy New Year! All the best to everyone.
R
Ram
Dec 30, 2008
Wade,

Doesn’t make sense. My question to Larry was: How do you copy a file you can’t open?

His response in #12 makes no sense, error or not. Especially in the light of #11 by the OP:

The original program doesn’t provide a feature to open the generated TIF file, regardless of size.

WTF is the relevance of its being freeware? Or who cares what it’s called if it doesn’t open its own file?
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 30, 2008
Ramón

Larry made a mistake, that’s all there is to it. He did not have his thoughts together on this one.

You know, like when your looking for something and you can’t remember what you’re looking for even if your life depended on it?

Besides mistakes seldom make sense,even yours.

But it is good you clarified it I was getting a little confused as well.

What I a wondering about i why there seems to be no other format for this program to generate like a jpeg or perhaps pdf or if need be eps.

Or a native file. And why the poster is in need of such a big file?
P
PeterK.
Jan 2, 2009
I thought that without using a special format like psb for Photoshop, 2gb was the file size limit due to OS limitations. A 32-bit OS cannot address more memory for any file greater than 2gb. In other words, that generated file is useless.
SF
Scott Falkner
Jan 2, 2009
Lots of programs can create files they don’t open, including most of the CS applications (although they can import most of them).
B
Buko
Jan 2, 2009
Peter the file size limit for a Tif is 4GB.
B
Buko
Jan 2, 2009
I just created a 3.62GB file in Photoshop saved it as a LZW tif. closed it. and reopened the file. So it sounds like there is something else going on. are you saving over a network
P
PeterK.
Jan 2, 2009
The 4gb limit was something recent for tiff. Because of Photoshop’s use of virtual memory, it can be made to open and work with files over 2gb, but I still believe that in general, a 2gb file is a no-no for just about anything on a 32-bit OS. It could be that the more recent implementations in the tiff format to allow Photoshop to open a >2gb file is not being written by the OP’s software.
B
Buko
Jan 2, 2009
< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 401089>

It seems that CS was the start of the over 2GB limit with PSB and tiffs upto 4GB
SF
Scott Falkner
Jan 3, 2009
How do we know the file is under 4 GB uncompressed? 28,990 x 43,200 x 3 = 3,757,104,000, or 3.5 GB. Unless there’s an alpha channel, making the uncompressed file
4.7 GB. Unless it’s 16 BPP, making it 7 GB or more.
BK
Bart_Kelsey
Jan 6, 2009
The LZW tif doesn’t contain an alpha channel -it is simply a large 8 bit tif which theoretically Photoshop should be able to open.
MD
Mark_Douma
Jan 8, 2009
LarryGR didn’t make a mistake.

The OP said he could successfully open the file in Preview.app, included with OS X. Obviously, LarryGR was wondering whether, after opening the image in Preview.app, it might be possible to copy the image to the pasteboard, then switch to Photoshop, create a new document (size/dimensions taken from the pasteboard)), and paste into the new document.

If that doesn’t work, perhaps you could use Preview to split the image into 2 halves, and open them as two separate documents in Photoshop, copy one image half into the other, align them, then flatten and Save As… (I believe Preview.app has a crop tool you can use to crop the original and do a Save As "First half", revert to the original image again, crop the other half, then do a Save As "Second half).
R
Ram
Jan 8, 2009
Gpood to see you back here, Mark Douma, but my question re LarryGR’s comment stands:

How do you copy a file you can’t open?
MD
Mark_Douma
Jan 8, 2009
Ramon,

Please do the following to see what I’m talking about:

1) Take a screenshot to create a quick example file (or use an existing file), and open the image in Preview.

2) In Preview, choose Edit > Copy. (This copies the current document’s contents to the pasteboard in various formats A quick look with the developer example app Clipboard Viewer shows the image has been copied as "public.tiff", "NeXT TIFF v4.0 pasteboard type", "com.apple.pict", and "Apple PICT pasteboard type", and others).

3) Open Photoshop and choose File > New. (Note that the Preset popup button should automatically be set to "Clipboard", and the dimensions and resolution should reflect those of the image that’s on the pasteboard).

4) Click OK to create the new empty document.

5) Choose Edit > Paste to paste the contents of the image from the clipboard into the new image.

The OP said he could open the file in Preview from where he could do the copying.
R
Ram
Jan 8, 2009
Mark,

Thanks for elaborating, but I got the distinct impression the OP could not open the file at all. If he can open it in Preview, then I had somehow missed that.
BK
Bart_Kelsey
Jan 8, 2009
Mark,

Although I can Edit > Copy within Preview, the following error message appears in Photoshop: "Could not import the clipboard because of an error getting data from the clipboard or another application."

However, your other suggestion to use Preview’s crop tool to split the file in half and recombine in Photoshop does work and is a credible alternative -thank you.
B
Buko
Jan 8, 2009
have you tried doing a save as out of preview and opening that in Photoshop?
BK
Bart_Kelsey
Jan 9, 2009
Buko,

Yes. Please see post #4.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 9, 2009
The application that generated the file has nothing to do with the problem. (there is no such thing as "Photoshop TIFF", just files written to the TIFF standard)

Most applications cannot correctly read or write files over 2 Gig. If your TIFF file was written by an application that cannot handle files over 2 Gig, then it is probably corrupt and cannot be opened correctly.
Now, it is possible that another application might open the image data — if the part that is corrupt is not read by that application. That might allow you to resave the image data.

If you really want to know the details – get me a copy of the file that won’t open and I can dissect it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections