TT
Posted By
Toni Toomey
Jun 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a limit to the size of a file I can open in PS6 on XP or MacOS10 (take your pick)?

I have 16 21"x15" pencil drawings that I plan to take to Kinkos to be scanned onto a CD. They charge $20 per scan, but their scanner has a 3’x10′ scanning bed. So I can tape the drawings together and pay for one scan. 200-300dpi will be a high enough res. I need sharp images because I have to place the drawings in Illustrator to trace. But I’m concerned that the file size will be off the charts.

I plan to open the file in PS6 to divided it up into the individual drawings. But I wonder if I will have trouble opening a file that big.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Toni

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 21, 2004
Is there a limit to the size of a file I can open in PS6 on XP or MacOS10 (take your pick)?

2 gig or 30,000 pixels in any direction. cs removes this limitation.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 21, 2004
2 gig or 30,000 pixels in any direction. cs removes this limitation.

Or does it?
Know will save in the (whatever the new format is), but will it actually open a PSD or TIFF that is 3GB and/or 50,000 pixels?

M
TT
Toni Toomey
Jun 21, 2004
OK, thanks. I can do the math and figure out if I need to split it up into more than one scan.

Mac, are you talking about CS or PS6 for the 3GB?

Cheers, T
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 21, 2004
Or does it?

well kinda… 🙂 since he doesn’t have cs i didn’t go into the hairy details of the psb format and the tiff format upgrade. 🙂
TT
Toni Toomey
Jun 22, 2004
OK, let’s see if I have this straight: In Mac’s experience, PS6 will open psd and tiff files up to 3MG, 50K pixels. Is that right? Any reason why it wouldn’t open, say, a bmp or gif file that size?

I’ve been doing the math and I’m looking at a minimum of 3 scans at 50Kpixels. Budget being tight, I’d like to keep the cost down, but don’t want to throw good money after bad by ending up with files that are too big.

Thanks for keeping after this topic with me.

T
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 22, 2004
Toni – no.

Photoshop 6 will only open files up to 2 Gigabytes, or 30,000 pixels in either dimension – as already stated.

Photoshop CS will open files up to several Exabytes, or 300,000 pixels in either dimension.
TT
Toni Toomey
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks, Chris. Four scans it is.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 22, 2004
Photoshop CS will open files up to several Exabytes, or 300,000 pixels in either dimension.

BUT, the question is: will it open TIFF/PSD files saved at that size, or only PSB files of that size?

Can’t seem to get a real answer and have asked several times.

I accidently save a 3GB TIFF in PS 7. Will CS open it?

Mac
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 22, 2004
Mac – PSD is limited to 2 Gig, period.

TIFF can go up to 4 Gig, but most other applications won’t read it.

You can try opening the TIFF in CS, and it may work – but it may have hit something that didn’t work correctly with large files and not work…..
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks for clarification, Chris…

Or at least sort of 🙂

(TIFF "might" work).

M
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 22, 2004
Mac – sorry, but it depends on too many factors to say whether it will absolutely work or not. PS 6 didn’t understand files over 2 Gig, but some of the files written over 2 Gig are recoverable, and some are not.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 23, 2004
I see…
Well, thanks to adding to my general understand re all that…

M

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections