Posted By
steve_knott
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Michael

Many thanks for repling to my Photoshop Elements query.

You are spot on when you suggest the file size of my tiff images increase when i ‘save as because i check the icc profile box and image pyramid profile..

to refresh you, your answer:

"Perhaps you saved it with layers, ICC profile, and/or image pyramid? All of these can be contained in a TIFF file. I just tried saving with and without these and the image went from 18 mb to over 60 mb– and this was for a file that in JPEG form was under 1 mb! "

I did check these boxes as you said..being a novice and a little ignorant of these things, could you confirm that the images after increasing in size will still not be degraded in any way because tiff is lossless? I used no compression of any sort whilst saving!

Thanks for your reply

kind regards

steve knott

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RW
Rene_Walling
Feb 26, 2004
I did check these boxes as you said..being a novice and a little ignorant of these things, could you confirm that the images after increasing in size will still not be degraded in any way because tiff is lossless? I used no compression of any sort whilst saving!

You _want_ to save the ICC profile, you _may_ want to save the layers, almost no one needs the image pyramid and I do not know of anyone using that option.

The only way to degrade the quality of an imag is to ncode it using a lossy compression scheme. JPEG files are the most common ones, but be aware that JPEG compression may also be available for other file formats (I know they are in PS, but I do not use Elements so I don’t know what the options are available there). Uncompresseed TIFF files and TIFFs saved with either LZW or ZIP compression will not degrade as those are lossless compression schemes

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections