JJ
Posted By
Jarek_Januszewski
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the PSD (windows) file size limit?

Does it depend on the file system?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobLevine
Jul 1, 2004
30,000 pixels x 30,000 pixels or 2 gigs.

Photoshop CS adds a new file type…PSB which increases the size limit. I don’t remember by how much, but I hope to never have to work on anything that big.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 1, 2004
Photoshop CS adds a new file type…PSB

and also provides support for larger tiff files… 4 gig, IIRC, not sure if there’s a pixel limit.
RW
Rene_Walling
Jul 1, 2004
Pixels ilimit is 300 000×300 000 pixels in CS
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 1, 2004
I know that’s for psb, is that it for tiff too?
RW
Rene_Walling
Jul 1, 2004
Yes, but other applications (Like old versions of PS) may not be able to read those TIFFs correctly.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 2, 2004
From what I’ve read, even CS may not read them after creating them.

Chris Cox intimated as much…says is iffy.

M
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 2, 2004
really? i don’t remember that. not that I’d ever create a tiff that big anyway… 🙂
RW
Rene_Walling
Jul 2, 2004
Well I never had any problem opening those large TIFF files. Not that I have worked wiht a ton of them on a daily basis mind you.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 2, 2004
About a week ago…
I forget thread name…

I asked if CS would open a TIFF over 2GB mistakenly saved as such in PS7. Chris said "maybe".

I believe he also said that PSD was 2GB max no matter what. But I believe you can WRITE a +2GB PSD, but his comment suggested that NO version will reopen a +2GB PSD.

I get any time, I’ll look for the thread.

M
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 2, 2004
ah yea, i remember that, but it was about psd’s iirc. that has no bearing on the cs issue though. i’d fully expect a tiff (or psb) over 2 gig SAVED in CS to open just fine in CS.

also is there anything about the psd format going over 2 gig/30k limits in cs? i.e. can you save a 2.5 gig psd or do you have to use the new psb format?
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 2, 2004
but his comment suggested that NO version will reopen a +2GB PSD.

that’s what I get for posting without reading your full reply! 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 2, 2004
wouldn’t it be reliable saving in PS7 and opening in CS?

because it wasn’t suppored in 7 so there might have been problems with the save… just guessing.

So make a TIFF of 3GB. See if it will reopen.

how do i get a file that big quickly… i need to reload ps tonight due to system problems, but I’ll try it over the weekend.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 2, 2004
ah yea, i remember that, but it was about psd’s iirc.

Ummm…look at the title of this thread?
Chris said 2GB was limit for PSD. I assume that means for any PS version?

i’d fully expect a tiff (or psb) over 2 gig SAVED in CS to open just fine in CS.

Maybe.
If it is reliable in CS, why wouldn’t it be reliable saving in PS7 and opening in CS? TIFF spec is TIFF spec, eh?

also is there anything about the psd format going over 2 gig/30k limits in cs?
i.e. can you save a 2.5 gig psd or do you have to use the new psb format?

According to Chris, 2GB is limit for PSD, period.

I don’t have CS loaded yet, so I can’t test some of these theories. I’ve experimented with this in PS 7, I can save files over 2GB, both TIFF and PSD. But neither will reopen (in PS7).

You’re using CS?
So make a TIFF of 3GB. See if it will reopen.
Save it as PSD. Can you? If so, will it reopen?

M
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 2, 2004
because it wasn’t suppored in 7 so there might have been problems with the save… just guessing.

As far as TIFF, te file specification is the same for both apps. Chris says TIFF has always been able to do 4GB, but few apps will. Seems to me PS7 would write to TIFF same as CS. The difference is in re- opening them, and Chris’ comments were still somewhat unclear to me as to whether CS will reliably open ANY +2GB TIFF, regardless of whether it was saved in CS or previous version.

M
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 2, 2004
how do i get a file that big quickly…

File/New
put in pixel dimensions until it estimates around 3GB.

But be fair, put something on the image other than just blank white expanse.

My PIII/800 takes about 5 min to save a +2GB file.
Hopefully you have speedier system?

M
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 2, 2004
Hopefully you have speedier system?

pIV 2.8 hyperthreaded… i’ll give it a go after i get my dual monitors working again and reaload ps. (and oh yes, they ati and nvidia WILL work together… it’s personal now!) 🙂
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 2, 2004
Wow…sounds like you have your hands full there…

M
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 4, 2004
Mac – of course CS will open TIFFs over 2 Gig if they were saved in CS. The problem is TIFFs over 2 Gig saved in previous versions (that might have made mistakes because they didn’t expect files over 2 Gig).
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 5, 2004
The problem is TIFFs over 2 Gig saved in previous versions (that might have made mistakes because they didn’t expect files over 2 Gig).

I’ve heard that somewhere before… 🙂
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 5, 2004
Okay…definitive answer…thanks..

Now, how about PSD?
It has 2GB limit in the file spec or somesuch right?
But programs can write to larger PSD file? And even CS won’t open? That right?

M
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 5, 2004
Yes, it has an inherent 2 Gig limit.
Yes, sometimes Photoshop prior to CS tried to write over 2 Gig and didn’t catch the error. Yes, they won’t always open even in CS.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 5, 2004
Thanks again…
I believe I’ve got it now 🙂

M

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections