SR
Posted By
Steven_Reno
Jun 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently worked on a very small image, 3 x 4 inches @ 100 resolution. When enlarged, of course it was badly pixelated. I remembered something about resampling up in stages that I read here last year so I increased the size and resolution 4 or 5 times to get to 6 x 8 @ 600 res. The image was much better but I was just winging it. Would one of you PSE gurus tell me the right way and maybe a quick way if there is one. Thanks.

Steve

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
jhjl1
Jun 26, 2004
In my opinion you can not double the size of your print and increase your ppi from 100 to 600 and get an acceptable image unless of course you are working with a vector file. This is assuming when you said "@100 resolution" you were referring to ppi. The tip you are referring to is increasing your image in 10% increments but you are asking for a miracle. A 3 x 4 inch, 100 ppi image turns into a .5 x .667 inch image when changed to 600 ppi.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I recently worked on a very small image, 3 x 4 inches @ 100
resolution. When enlarged, of course it was badly pixelated. I remembered something about resampling up in stages that I read here last year so I increased the size and resolution 4 or 5 times to get to 6 x 8 @ 600 res. The image was much better but I was just winging it. Would one of you PSE gurus tell me the right way and maybe a quick way if there is one. Thanks.
Steve
SR
Steven_Reno
Jun 26, 2004
James

I should have mentioned that I just needed to clean up the image to use for further work in PSE, Painter and other programs. I know that can’t print an 8 x 10 from 3 x 4 @ 100 ppi. I just can’t use the image with jagged edges. I need to take whatever images that come in and make the best of it. Anyway James, thanks for the tip about the 10%. Is that increase the res. and size in 10% increments?

btw People unfamiliar with Photoshop often think it is a miricle what can be done!

Thanks again James

Steve
LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 26, 2004
I have always been the advocate of the 10% increments method of enlarging. However, yesterday, with my thoughts probably somewhere else, I used the crop tool with settings of 20×30" at 300 ppi on an approximately 4000×3000 ppi image. I realised what I had done after printing this image. It came out wonderful and I doubt if it would have been any better using the 10% method.

Now I don’t know any more what’s the best way to enlarge an image.

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 26, 2004
I know that the 10% rule of incremental enlarging is in vogue but I have my doubts. It runs contrary to how my mine works and what I think should happen. I have tried it both ways and printed two images and I couldn’t see an improvement. In the end it work without reward but … give it a good old test and see what your results are as your mileage may vary.

G.
J
jhjl1
Jun 26, 2004
Leen, now that you have CS you can do it in one step with the new bicubic smoother option.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
I have always been the advocate of the 10% increments method of
enlarging.
However, yesterday,
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 26, 2004
James

I like the bicubic smoother for a fast and dirty resize. But if you are going to develop that great masterpiece it is still better to size then do an unsharpen.

Grant
J
jhjl1
Jun 26, 2004
I agree with you 100%, I simply meant he could resize all at once and not worry with doing it incrementally.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
James

I like the bicubic smoother for a fast and dirty resize. But if you
are
going to develop that great masterpiece it is still better to size
then do
an unsharpen.

Grant

SR
Steven_Reno
Jun 27, 2004
Leen

Thanks for the cropping tip that will save a lot of time and trouble. When I hand paint a portrait I introduce new detail and can again increase the size of the image. So I can simply crop to about 60 to 70% of what I need the final image to be. Then when I paint the image It can be big enough for a nice portrait from a low quality source. Without the resampling I can get to the fun part, painting, right away.

Thanks also to James and Grant for your input.

Steve
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 27, 2004
Steve, when you paint on the image, you really aren’t changing the size with the new detail unless you change the pixel dimensions. Painting at constant pixel dimensions is just changing the color of the pixels that are already there. Unless, of course, you mean that the picture becomes more complex and therefore causes the compressed JPEG to be less compressed and therefore larger in terms of file size….

Chuck
SR
Steven_Reno
Jun 28, 2004
Chuck

Thanks for your comments. When I move the image to a paint program [usually not Elements] I do resize to the final size and resolution. When I’m painting not just color is changed. Texture and grain are added along with 3 dimentional brushstrokes that look like oil painting or other media, so I assume this is adding to the file size.

You’re comment got me thinking though. One problem with these complicated paint programs is when you use a large brush on a high resolution image is that the stroke slows down and if its too big the program might crash. Maybe I will try doing the crop method last and do the painting resizing first then the brushwork can be faster and more natural.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Steve

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections