LD
Posted By
Lyman_DeLiguori
Sep 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I see that this subject has been brought up many times before but I couldn’t find what I was looking for.

I understand the concept of what resampling does with respect to resizing. However, are there any rules so to speak as to when Resampling should be enabled, and when it should not?

I thought I had read that images bound for the Web should be Resampled when they are resized; those ultimately destined for publication (Press, Print) should have Resampling turned off when they are resized. As a general rule is this correct?

Thank you!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PF
Peter_Figen
Sep 13, 2006
It all depends on how the original resolution compares to the desired resolution for a particular output.
R
Ram
Sep 13, 2006
I had read that images bound for the Web should be Resampled when they are resized…

Well, in the context of the web, resizing is resampling. You have no choice; they’re interchangeable terms in this context.

those ultimately destined for publication (Press, Print) should have Resampling turned off when they are resized. As a general rule is this correct?

No; that is NOT correct. What Peter says. If your image does not have enough pixels, you have to resample.

I understand the concept of what resampling does with respect to resizing.

Are you sure you do?
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Sep 13, 2006
Are you sure you do?

….apparently not. I was just seeing if you were paying close attention <grin>. Thanks, Ramon, Peter.

Re what Peter said, let me try this angle. If you desire to increase the resolution, one would want to Resample. However, I read some articles on this in the Adobe KB (Document 331327) and it appears that if you disable Resampling you are neither adding or taking away from the image. To wit, in part:

"When you resize an image and do not resample it, you change the size of the image without changing the amount of data in that image. Resizing without resampling changes the physical size of the image without changing the pixel dimensions in the image; no data is added to or removed from the image…"

Having just re-read it yet again, I do feel I am interpetting that incorrectly, though.

I guess the bottom line is this: at what times does one want to Resample? Only when resizing and/or changing resolution, and the rest of the time leave Resampling disabled when working at the default resolution?

Thanks to you both!
R
Ram
Sep 13, 2006
if you disable Resampling

If you don’t resample, you are leaving your image (pixels) untouched, unaltered.

You resample when you need or want to change the dimensions of the image in pixels.

It’s that simple.

Look at it this way: resampling means one of two things:

* discarding information (pixels) to make the image smaller in terms of pixel dimensions (so many pixels wide by so many inches high);

or

* making up (inventing) information (pixels) to avoid to make the image larger in terms of pixel dimensions (so many pixels wide by so many inches high) in order to avoid the individual pixels becoming all too noticeable in print.
CB
charles badland
Sep 13, 2006
I guess the bottom line is this: at what times does one want to Resample?

My take: you never want to Resample, but sometimes you need to resample.
R
Ram
Sep 13, 2006
Merely changing "ppi" resolution without resampling means leaving the image (pixels) untouched. It has ZERO effect on web images.
R
Ram
Sep 13, 2006
Very well put, Charles.
CB
charles badland
Sep 13, 2006
Very well put, Charles.

after I got the italics in right. 😉
R
Ram
Sep 13, 2006
after I got the italics in right.

Yeah, I noticed that; but I was sure you were seconds away from editing your post. 🙂
LD
Lyman_DeLiguori
Sep 13, 2006
Ramon, Charles, Peter,

Thank you very much for your help as it’s greatly appreciated; Photoshop is a daunting program and it would appear one can spend a lifetime learning it, let alone ever mastering it. Good summation, Ramon…that’s exactly what I was looking for. ‘The Photoshop CS2 Bible’* should have done as well.

Peter, Charles, many thanks also. "My take: you never want to Resample, but sometimes you need to resample." can even pierce through this thick Italian head of mine <grin>.

Again, thanks and have a great day!

Best,

Lyman

* Your individual takes on this Book? Is it worth the money paid? I’ve heard varying opinions from "Execellent" to "Paperweight".

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections