SS
Posted By
Synapse Syndrome
Jul 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know of Extensis pxlSmartScale1.0. Is there anything better, or is this considered the best?

Anybody know of any reviews comparing different products?

Cheers

ss.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Clyde
Jul 28, 2005
Synapse Syndrome wrote:
I know of Extensis pxlSmartScale1.0. Is there anything better, or is this considered the best?

Cheers

ss.

I have used Genuine Fractals in the past. I got it mostly for the much smaller, lossless file sizes. One of its uses is to allow for resizing up and keeping all the detail.

It works, but it matters how much scaling you do. For large jumps it can make a slight difference. i.e. Letter size page to poster size print. For the much more modest resizing that I do (under 100%), Photoshop’s Bicubic seems to work just as well. Well, I can’t SEE any difference; not without a loupe anyway.

So, I quit using it. JPEG2000 will get smaller lossless files that GF. BTW, JPEG2000 uses wavelet technology, much list LuraWave. GF is in the same technology arena.

It is very debatable that you will find anything that will be a significant improvement over what Photoshop already gives you. The problem is that none of them can add detail that isn’t already there. They are pretty good about keeping the detail that is there fairly smooth at the larger sizes. That doesn’t necessarily help.

Clyde
SS
Synapse Syndrome
Jul 28, 2005
"Clyde" wrote in message
Synapse Syndrome wrote:
I know of Extensis pxlSmartScale1.0. Is there anything better, or is this
considered the best?

I have used Genuine Fractals in the past. I got it mostly for the much smaller, lossless file sizes. One of its uses is to allow for resizing up and keeping all the detail.

It works, but it matters how much scaling you do. For large jumps it can make a slight difference. i.e. Letter size page to poster size print. For the much more modest resizing that I do (under 100%), Photoshop’s Bicubic seems to work just as well. Well, I can’t SEE any difference; not without a loupe anyway.

So, I quit using it. JPEG2000 will get smaller lossless files that GF. BTW, JPEG2000 uses wavelet technology, much list LuraWave. GF is in the same technology arena.

It is very debatable that you will find anything that will be a significant improvement over what Photoshop already gives you. The problem is that none of them can add detail that isn’t already there. They are pretty good about keeping the detail that is there fairly smooth at the larger sizes. That doesn’t necessarily help.

Thanks. I’ve given up on what I was aiming to do now. I’ll just stick with PS bicubic sampling.

ss.
BV
Bart van der Wolf
Jul 28, 2005
"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in

I don’t consider it best at all. The posterized results with much sharper edges than the rest of the image looks very unnatural to me.

http://www.americaswonderlands.com/digital_photo_interpolati on.htm

For minor upsizing Photoshop works fine, for significant upsizing I use Qimage. Since the upsizing is usually required for printing anyway, it kills two birds with one stone, without the need to create multiple resized images for each purpose that the image is being used for.

Bart
SS
Synapse Syndrome
Jul 28, 2005
"Bart van der Wolf" wrote in message
"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message

I don’t consider it best at all. The posterized results with much sharper edges than the rest of the image looks very unnatural to me.

http://www.americaswonderlands.com/digital_photo_interpolati on.htm
For minor upsizing Photoshop works fine, for significant upsizing I use Qimage. Since the upsizing is usually required for printing anyway, it kills two birds with one stone, without the need to create multiple resized images for each purpose that the image is being used for.

Thanks, very interesting..

ss.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections