DL
Posted By
Daniel Lipkie
May 9, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I constrain crop to a certain height/width ration (say 3:4) and NOT do any resampling of the image?

For example, I have an image 2304×3072 and I want to crop it so that the result still has the 3:4 aspect ratio, e.g. the result may be 300:400 or 750:1000 or something in between. But I don’t want to do resampling.

Is such an operation possible?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
May 9, 2008
"Daniel Lipkie" wrote in message
How do I constrain crop to a certain height/width ration (say 3:4) and NOT do any resampling of the image?

For example, I have an image 2304×3072 and I want to crop it so that the result still has the 3:4 aspect ratio, e.g. the result may be 300:400 or 750:1000 or something in between. But I don’t want to do resampling.
Is such an operation possible?
Daniel,

Try using the Rectangular Marquee tool.
Set the style (on the options bar) to Fixed Ratio and put what you want in the width and height boxes. (3 & 4?)
Then drag out your selection at the fixed ratio.
Then go to Image>Crop.
Before you start, check the Image>Image size to see what effect the crop has on the image size.
TWK
EG
Ed_Grenzig
May 9, 2008
Yes

Use the crop tool but make sure to leave the resolution box blank, otherwise it will resample. Just enter your H and W in inches in the proper aspect ratio. (do not enter h and w in pixels, this will resample your image.)

You can also use the marquee select tool and then the Image/crop command.

Ed
DL
Daniel Lipkie
May 10, 2008
Thanks for the "inches" metric. I’d searched the web and found the advice to enter the ratios in the size boxes with empty resolution but none of the advice specified using inches instead of the pixels.

Daniel
EG
Ed_Grenzig
May 10, 2008
I’m glade it cleared things up for you..

I believe you can use any of the dimensions (rt click in h or w box) allowed in the H and w boxes except pixels. I just like to use inches. It works really weird when you select pixels. The area you select is cropped and resampled to the pixel dimensions you enter. Never really found a use for this.

But when you use the rectangular marquee select/fixed size. You can select the pixel size of the crop you want. This I do use and find useful.

Ed

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections