SS
Posted By
Shaun_Scanlan
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does changing the method of resampling in the Image Size dialog box effect the resampling when transforming a layer.

For Example: If the resampling method in the Image Size dialog box is set to "Bicubic smoother" do all transformations (resizing a layer) use the smoother method?

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 23, 2004
Interesting question.

I experimented a bit and it seems that the resampling method that is currently chosen in Photoshop Preferences rules the transformation.

So, if you want to use Bicubic Smoother for a transformation you need to set it in prefs. before transforming; and then you have to set it again (to Bicubic Sharper for example) before doing a transform on a different layer.

Perhaps resampling method needs to be selectable in the Options bar when using Transform?
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jul 23, 2004
Shaun,

The default resampling method of Interpolation is defined in the "General Pane" of Photoshop Preferences i.e. "Command+K". This means that if you choose say "Nearest Neighbor" in Prefs then that will be the default in "Image Size" and ALL transformations carried out (including the layers) from within that dialog will use that method of Interpolation. It will also apply to the various transformations found under the "Edit" menu.

Ian
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 23, 2004
However, from my experiments, it seems that you can CHANGE the preferences at any time and the next transform that you do (in the SAME file) will immediately make use of the NEW interpolation method which you have selected — while your earlier transformations in that file remain unaffected.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 23, 2004
yep
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 23, 2004
Interpolation test < http://users.rcn.com/cameraart/Interpolation%20folder/Interp olation%20test.html>

You may not be able to see the difference very clearly here but, if you download to desktop, and zoom in in Photoshop I think that you will be able to see it.
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
The image won’t load.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 24, 2004
Ann, le’s ask it in the features request: user selectalb e resampling method in the option bar… or do we need a preferences palette? 😀
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 24, 2004
Good idea Pierre. I"ll pop it in there.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 24, 2004
hey ann, where’s the scroll bar for the snapshots one? It really makes sense!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
It probably got archived as I think that i reposted the Request the day that I first launched CS and found, to my intense chagrin, that Adobe had STILL not fixed the History palette.

Unfortunately the Features Request Archive doesn’t go back further than the beginning of 2004 so perhaps I had better re-post — just to make sure that Chris Cox is not allowed to continue to forget to fix this in yet another version?

:~)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections