PB
Posted By
Phatty Boombatty
Jun 8, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an image that I scanned from a negative at 2400 DPI, but it only measures a couple of inches in actual dimensions. I would like to decrease the DPI to 300 but increase the pixel dimensions to like 8×10 or whatever. Can anyone tell me the "proper" way to do this? I don’t want to lose image quality.

Thanks much!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
nomail
Jun 8, 2010
Phatty Boombatty wrote:
I have an image that I scanned from a negative at 2400 DPI, but it only measures a couple of inches in actual dimensions. I would like to decrease the DPI to 300 but increase the pixel dimensions to like 8×10 or whatever. Can anyone tell me the "proper" way to do this? I don’t want to lose image quality.

You don’t need to change the pixel dimensions, only the resolution. If you scanned at 2400 dpi, your image should be around 3600 pixels wide and 2400 pixels high (assuming it was a 24mm negative, which is roughly 1 x 1.5 inch). If you change the resolution from 2400 ppi to 300 ppi WITHOUT resampling, the image will become 8 x 12 inch @ 300 ppi. Use ‘Image Size’ in Photoshop and UNCHECK the option to resample.

Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer, www.johanfoto.com
PB
Phatty Boombatty
Jun 9, 2010
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:24:20 -0500, Johan W. Elzenga
wrote:

Phatty Boombatty wrote:

You don’t need to change the pixel dimensions, only the resolution. If you scanned at 2400 dpi, your image should be around 3600 pixels wide and 2400 pixels high (assuming it was a 24mm negative, which is roughly 1 x 1.5 inch). If you change the resolution from 2400 ppi to 300 ppi WITHOUT resampling, the image will become 8 x 12 inch @ 300 ppi. Use ‘Image Size’ in Photoshop and UNCHECK the option to resample.

Thank you, Johan. Very nice web site also. Beautiful panoramas.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections