PM
Posted By
Philip_M._Cole
Feb 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wish to take a rectangular photo and create an oval matte shape on a red back ground. I’m stuck. The crop tool only crops in a square/rectangle shape. The mask gets me the shape but I can’t get the red background to border or surround the oval shape. The original rectangular photo remains over the red background. Any help appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Bernie
Feb 12, 2007
Put the image on its own layer and create a layer mask in the shape of the oval.
PM
Philip_M._Cole
Feb 12, 2007
Not sure what you mean. If I create a mask in the shape of an oval, it hides the oval picture I’m trying to display. I want to eliminate everything but the oval photo image and have a colored background. Tks
HB
Heather Bell
Feb 12, 2007
Easiest thing for you to do is:
Make a new layer
Using round marque tool, draw the oval shape you want
Move into position if off center
Select inverse
Fill with red "border" you want
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 12, 2007
Phillip,

Any Black and White image, and your mask is one, can be inverted, Ctrl-I. And that will reverse the masked and revealed areas.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections