P
Posted By
Plaincity
Jun 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I will try to explain what I need to do for some help with my problem.

Elements 5.0

I have a large surface in a JPG file, probably 40 X 60 inches at 100% sizing.

I need to take small crops out of this large picture, 8X10 inches. I can not, for detail purposes, reduce the size of the original.

I set the crop tool to 8X10 and crop my first area. I print it and then UNDO crop and prepare to crop the next area right next to the first. I know where to crop each successive time, but it is very difficult to get the exact size of the crop are the same each time I crop. One may be off by 1/16 of an inch from the previous one, etc.

Is there anyway to set a crop area and then always go back to that exact same crop size, but just move the area to be cropped from the first area to the new area I want to crop?

Don’t know if that makes sense. I know that I will always have an 8X10 crop, but what portion of the original that is cropped needs to be the exact same in relation to the total picture each time.

What happens when I print these various cropped sections is, they don’t match up perfectly.

Any ideas would help and are appreciated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GA
Gerry Atrick
Jun 19, 2007
Hi – have you tried View/Grid – this would display guide lines that might help you. You can set the guidelines at whatever interval you want in Editor/Preferences

Gerry Atrick

"Plaincity" wrote in message
|I will try to explain what I need to do for some help with my problem. |
| Elements 5.0
|
| I have a large surface in a JPG file, probably 40 X 60 inches at 100% | sizing.
|
| I need to take small crops out of this large picture, 8X10 inches. I can | not, for detail purposes, reduce the size of the original. |
| I set the crop tool to 8X10 and crop my first area. I print it and then | UNDO crop and prepare to crop the next area right next to the first. I know | where to crop each successive time, but it is very difficult to get the | exact size of the crop are the same each time I crop. One may be off by | 1/16 of an inch from the previous one, etc.
|
| Is there anyway to set a crop area and then always go back to that exact | same crop size, but just move the area to be cropped from the first area to | the new area I want to crop?
|
| Don’t know if that makes sense. I know that I will always have an 8X10 | crop, but what portion of the original that is cropped needs to be the exact | same in relation to the total picture each time.
|
| What happens when I print these various cropped sections is, they don’t | match up perfectly.
|
| Any ideas would help and are appreciated.
|
|
B
Burt
Jun 23, 2007
Elements 5.0

I need to take small crops out of this large picture, 8X10 inches. I can not, for detail purposes, reduce the size of the original.
I set the crop tool to 8X10 and crop my first area. I print it and then UNDO crop and prepare to crop the next area right next to the first. I know where to crop each successive time, but it is very difficult to get the exact size of the crop are the same each time I crop. One may be off by 1/16 of an inch from the previous one, etc.

Is there anyway to set a crop area and then always go back to that exact same crop size, but just move the area to be cropped from the first area to the new area I want to crop?

Don’t know if that makes sense. I know that I will always have an 8X10 crop, but what portion of the original that is cropped needs to be the exact same in relation to the total picture each time.

What happens when I print these various cropped sections is, they don’t match up perfectly.

Are you trying to print segments of a poster size final print and mount the segments to make the entire picture? If so, there is a program available online with a trial period of ten posters. If you want to use it, the cost is only $18 – a real bargain! It takes the picture you want to print – say to 20 x 30 inches – and breaks it into sections that can be printed with an
8.5×11 printer. It prints with a bit of overlap and will also print
alignment brackets if you wish. I’ve done several of these posters and the results are quite good. You can see the lapped edges, but the overall appearance is good when you consider that you printed it with a small format printer. You can also set up the poster file and, from what the program states, take the file to Kinko’s for a seamless print. I did them myself on a Canon i960 and had lots of compliments from friends.

Web site is the following: http://www.postersw.com/
EB
Eric Bloch
Jun 23, 2007
A free program to look at that does the same thing:
Posteriza:
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/M isc__Graphics_Tools/Posteriza.html

"Burt" wrote in message
Elements 5.0

Are you trying to print segments of a poster size final print and mount the segments to make the entire picture? If so, there is a program available online with a trial period of ten posters. If you want to use it, the cost is only $18 – a real bargain! It takes the picture you want to print – say to 20 x 30 inches – and breaks it into sections that can be printed with an 8.5×11 printer. It prints with a bit of overlap and will also print alignment brackets if you wish. I’ve done several of these posters and the results are quite good. You can see the lapped edges, but the overall appearance is good when you consider that you printed it with a small format printer. You can also set up the poster file and, from what the program states, take the file to Kinko’s for a seamless print. I did them myself on a Canon i960 and had lots of compliments from friends.

P
Plaincity
Jul 2, 2007
Thanks – I will look at both those. Esentially I am trying to take a large JPG and print it out so they can all be placed together to make one big print.

These may work!
"Eric Bloch" wrote in message
A free program to look at that does the same thing:
Posteriza:
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/M isc__Graphics_Tools/Posteriza.html
"Burt" wrote in message
Elements 5.0

Are you trying to print segments of a poster size final print and mount the segments to make the entire picture? If so, there is a program available online with a trial period of ten posters. If you want to use it, the cost is only $18 – a real bargain! It takes the picture you want to print – say to 20 x 30 inches – and breaks it into sections that can be printed with an 8.5×11 printer. It prints with a bit of overlap and will also print alignment brackets if you wish. I’ve done several of these posters and the results are quite good. You can see the lapped edges, but the overall appearance is good when you consider that you printed it with a small format printer. You can also set up the poster file and, from what the program states, take the file to Kinko’s for a seamless print. I did them myself on a Canon i960 and had lots of compliments from friends.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections