B
Posted By
bob733
Apr 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Here is a www.pixentral.com (no "C" this time). < http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1iqQDbREzan6nsQLF1 0u1SkDHMIDQo0>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
bob733
Apr 27, 2007
Hi,
I hope (this time, I am doing it the Adobe Forum way).

Anyway, I have a quick masking question as I am trying to learn this concept better.

How would I set up the layer’s blending mode, opacity, etc if (for example) if I wanted a red background with green letters spelling "green" (which I have), and blue letters spelling "blue" (which is not coming through like I thougt it would).

Is there a easy way to apply this masking?

Bob
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 27, 2007
You need to add the "blue" mask to the "red" mask on the red layer. Ctrl-click on it to make a selection, Ctrl-I (inverse) and on the "red" layer mask fill the selection with black. Now you will have two masks on top of each other so the blue should show through.

I assume this is only an experiment, because there are better ways to make this picture.

BTW, I am not sure what the "Adobe Forum way" is, but you could easily have combined both posts into one topic so it would not look like someone had already answered.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 27, 2007
To expand: do you understand why it didn’t work the way you had it set up?

Think of the mask as a hole punched in the layer. There is no hole for the letters spelling "blue" in the red layer, so there’s no way for it to show through. Think of the layers as stacks of colored construction paper. If you want to see through all of them to the bottom, you have to put a hole through all of them.
B
bob733
Apr 27, 2007
Here is what I did
ctrl click on green layer mask.
Select Inverse, Now only the blue in the mask had the ant hill

clicked on red layer mask
the BLUE marching ants selection was active

Did edit fill (forground color (was black).
the BLUE turned black….

Repeated but this time I painted with a brush (black) and the blue came through….. thanks!

Yes, this is just a test and not a real picture..but your comment about a better way to do this type of masking…. whaat did you have in mind?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 27, 2007
I think the first time you must have filled on the layer rather than the mask.

If I was making this kind of image I would probably not bother with the masks. Just have all the lettering on its own layer.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections