TM
Posted By
T_Mike_Hyndman
Oct 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When using an adjustment/fill layer, the associated mask is of the "reveal all" type. Is it possible to have a "hide all" mask when using an A/FL? (PCS)

TIA.
TMH

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 14, 2005
I’m not sure I understand the question but why not control click on the mask and then invert the selection creating a new mask?
TM
T_Mike_Hyndman
Oct 14, 2005
Hello YrbkMgr,

As you know,when applying a layer mask from Layer>Layer mask you get the choice of a reveal all or hide all masks.

When clicking on the "adjustment/fill layer" icon at the bottom of the layers palette, an adjustment/fill layer is added which contains the adjustment/fill thumbnail along with a mask. This mask is always of the "reveal all" type. As an example, if you wanted to use a hue and saturation adjustment layer to alter the colour of eyes, the H&S would change the colour of the whole layer. The unwanted coloured area would then be "painted out" using the mask.

Now, if the accompanying mask was of the "Hide all" variety, the colour of the layer would not change until it was "painted in". In the case of the eyes example, this would result in less masking.

Control clicking on an unused mask merely selects the whole mask which cannot be inverted because no pixels have been selected.

I hope this is clearer than my first post.

Many thanks

TMH
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 14, 2005
An adjustment layer comes with a reveal all Layer Mask. To make it "hide all" just select it and click Ctrl + Backspace with default colours (D).

Is that what you wanted? I’m not sure I understand the question either.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 15, 2005
Ah, I see what you’re getting at TMH. The way you are thinking about it is totall foreign to me; not wrong, just different.

I always do my masking first. And I usually don’t paint it. But let’s say for giggles and grins that you wanted to Paint in your mask, using the eyes with the H/S example.

You create your adjustment layer. Delete the automatic mask created by right clicking on the mask. Enter Quick Mask mode, double click on the QM icon to assure that it will show selected areas, not masked. Then paint over your eyes, and exit QM. Now, apply that mask with the button in the layers palette.

Personally, I know I’m going to mask out something, so I create the mask first, then, when you click on the Adjustment Layer icon in the layers palette, it automatically includes your selection as the mask.

Peace,
Tony
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Oct 15, 2005
ALT+click the add layer mask button.

Remember that ALT means alternative, opposite in Photoshop’s "Language"
TM
T_Mike_Hyndman
Oct 15, 2005
Many thanks, John, tony and Pierre,

John, I can’t believe I never thought of filling the mask with black as in your suggestion.

Tony, using your method, if I select, as in the previous example the eyes in QM mode, then apply the adjustment layer, everything changes colour except the eyes, so the QM selection would have to be inverted before the adjustment layer was applied. More steps and I’m inherently lazy 😉

Pierre, I like yours for its simplicity when just adding a layer mask but it doesn’t have the same result when trying to change the correction layer mask. Alt clicking on the AL mask changes the whole layer to white and painting with black on the the mask is just that, painting in black.

Many thanks to you all,

TMH
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 15, 2005
Cheers Mike 🙂
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 15, 2005
everything changes colour except the eyes, so the QM selection would have to be inverted before the adjustment layer was applied

Double click on the QM Icon and choosed show masked, then. But Pierre’s solution is just as easy (easier); my habit is to make my selection, then apply the adjustment layer and the adjustment layer will inherit the selection.
TM
T_Mike_Hyndman
Oct 15, 2005
Tony,

I’ve just tried this again as suggested in your first post and added an adjustment layer, which coloured the whole layer. I then deleted the AL "auto" mask and went into QM mode and made a selection (with AL layer active}, then exited QM mode. I then clicked on the "add layer mask" icon which did apply the adjustment to the selection. (AND it was of the "hide all" flavour, without using the Alt key)What was going wrong the first G only knows.

I still think that this is slower than adding the AL layer, selecting the auto mask, then Ctrl+backspace to fill the mask with black, then "painting out" the selection.

But, this has been a very instructive and useful exercise, it proves the old adage.. "there is more than one way to decorticate a feline", especially in PS.

Many thanks

TMH
D
deebs
Oct 15, 2005
Aww… poor cat?
MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 15, 2005
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 15:25:21 -0700, deebs wrote:

Aww… poor cat?
Yup, you said it 😉

MH
remove -bats- to reply

"Ingratitude is never having to say thankyou".
D
d-signer
Oct 16, 2005
Although layer mask is alpha-channel such options as "Selected Areas" and "Masked Areas" are inaccessible for it. You can adjust only color and its opacity of a layer mask content. To show overlayed layer mask content press \ To hide press \ again. That way gives you ability to make visual editing of layer mask instead of using QM. BTW, Alt+Click on the layer mask thumbnail show mask as pure alpha-channel (Alt toggles this mode).

If you want convert LM from ‘hide’ to ‘reveal’ and vice versa just invert its content: ctrl+I. No make selection is needed here.

BTW, If you CS2 user you could set option "Use Default Mask on Adjustments" to OFF. It resides in Layers Palette Options window.

—Kostya

wrote in message
Tony,

I’ve just tried this again as suggested in your first post and added an adjustment layer, which coloured the whole layer. I then deleted the AL "auto" mask and went into QM mode and made a selection (with AL layer active}, then exited QM mode. I then clicked on the "add layer mask" icon which did apply the adjustment to the selection. (AND it was of the "hide all" flavour, without using the Alt key)What was going wrong the first G only knows.

I still think that this is slower than adding the AL layer, selecting the auto mask, then Ctrl+backspace to fill the mask with black, then "painting out" the selection.

But, this has been a very instructive and useful exercise, it proves the old adage.. "there is more than one way to decorticate a feline", especially in PS.

Many thanks

TMH

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections