F
Posted By
FMW
Oct 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I resize an image, my expectation is to get some blurriness from the process that unsharp mask can repair. Reality is that I don’t see blurriness from resizing and the unsharp mask at 20% doesn’t seem to have a visible effect. Perhaps I’m just getting too old?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
Luiz
Oct 24, 2006
escreveu:

When I resize an image, my expectation is to get some blurriness from the process that unsharp mask can repair. Reality is that I don’t see blurriness from resizing and the unsharp mask at 20% doesn’t seem to have a visible effect. Perhaps I’m just getting too old?

I use Unsharp Mask with an Amount of 500%, Radius 0.2 px and Threshold 0 levels. And yes, there’s a great difference. You can also, when resizing an image, instead of applying Unsharp Mask, select Resample Image: Bicubic Sharper. Test each one of the methods described here and choose the better for you.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 24, 2006
Perhaps I’m just getting too old?

We all are.
Are you viewing the image at 100% magnification? Only then you can really see what’s happening.

Rob
B
Bernie
Oct 25, 2006
And are you applying the unsharp mask to the correct layer?
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Oct 25, 2006
And what’s the Radius and Threshold values?
F
FMW
Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I’m viewing "view actual pixels." These are single layer images and the radius and threshold values are default.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 25, 2006
I don’t see blurriness from resizing and the unsharp mask at 20% doesn’t seem to have a visible effect.

First of all, blurriness from resizing is a function of how much resizing has been done and at what resolution. Also note that image degredation from making an image smaller is far and away less discernable than the artifacts introduced from increasing the image size.

In addition, the resizing algorithms introduced in CS (CS2?) are an improvement over an already excellent set of algorithms that are the IP of Adobe.

Finally, only in the most extreme of circumstances do I see any visible difference with Unsharp Mask at 20%. And if you’re printing, you probably won’t see it until about 300%, depending on a host of factors.

So it’s more likely a matter of your expectations. At what level (percent) should you expect to see a difference with Unsharp Mask? At what level does blurriness become obvious? These are image dependant as well as highly subjective.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections