GP
Posted By
Gary_Politzer
Dec 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had to turn off Mobile Me Sync. Three times now, Photoshop froze when Mobile Me Sync kicked in. I had multiple documents open, and was using selection tools, brush, etc. One time it froze when I was doing nothing, and Mobile Me Sync came on. I wonder if anyone else is seeing this behavior with Photoshop and Mobile Me? I have 10 GB RAM and 8 cores. You’d think it could walk & chew gum at the same time.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 4, 2008
No, I haven’t heard of anyone else with that problem. And there is nothing in Photoshop that should know or care that MobileMe sync is running.
GP
Gary_Politzer
Dec 5, 2008
Thanks for clearing that up, Chris. That means there is something wrong with either my Leopard installation, with my CS3 installation, or both. I may be heading for a total wipe/reinstall. I was surprised to see that happen, because I also didn’t think Photoshop would be affected by MobileMe.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 5, 2008
It’s possible that there is a lurking bug in MobileMe or Photoshop — but that we haven’t seen it occur for anyone else yet.

The more you can do to narrow down the cause, the better – just in case it does eventually happen to someone else, or there is a real problem to be fixed.
GP
Gary_Politzer
Dec 5, 2008
The situation is complicated by some unknowns, which I will need to eliminate by rebuilding my system. To be brief, I mistakenly used Apple’s Migration Assistant to import my office partner’s account from his old Pismo laptop running Tiger. I either did this the wrong way, or was using the wrong tool to begin with, because after that, my system had problems. My Computer Name was changed to his Computer Name, and Adobe CS3 started to say it wasn’t registered, first Acrobat, then all the apps a week later. To solve this, I reverted to a clone I had made before the trouble occurred, and recreated my friend’s account by a safer method; creating a blank account with the sane username/password, then importing his files.

This looked like it was going to work, but under intensive use, Photoshop is crashing and exhibiting behavior quirks. I am also having trouble with Style Master, which may or may not be related. I don’t think I will be satisfied without rebuilding my system from the ground up, something I hate to do more than once per year:)

A couple of related questions: I have been allowing my drives to spin down while using Photoshop, thinking that I can put up with the occasional beachball while a drive spins up, but now I am wondering if this is part of the problem. Also, I will need to deactivate CS3 for the reinstall, and that worries me, too, because I always end up on the phone to India, probably because I am on Wild Blue Satellite here, and CS3 can’t deal with my spotty, crappy internet connection.

Anyway, thank you for looking at my concerns, and I will report the results of my research.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 5, 2008
Photoshop won’t crash when drives are spundown – just wait, or return an error if they take too long (because the OS returns a "not available" error).
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2008
Apple’s Migration Assistant

Guaranteed grief.
GP
Gary_Politzer
Dec 6, 2008
Ramon,

I would never create a new system with Migration Asst, but thought it would be safe to import my buddy’s account as a standard account only, so he could check his email and have his own Safari bookmarks, etc, in the office. Others suggested it is safer to create a blank account with same username & passwd, then import his stuff. Anyway, Migration Assistant overstepped its bounds, renaming my computer(!), and hosing CS3’s activation stash. It is possible that even reverting to a clean clone didn’t fix things. Clearly, I am going to be leery of Migration Assistant from now on.
R
Ram
Dec 6, 2008
Like I said, Apple’s Migration Assistant = Guaranteed grief.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections